Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lifting My 97' Legacy LSi

TBFK

Hello.

I have a 1997 Legacy LSi that I want to lift. It's an automatic. I've been searching the web for ideas and lift kits. But i'm coming up dry. I don't have a lot of money, so i'm looking for a cheap way to get a few inches. Does anyone have any ideas or any directions to point me in?

I have found that I could swap over OB Struts and Spings, but that just seems to easy. If anything I would like to go that route becuase I don't have a lot of money, and i'm not looking for anything huge.

I really appreciate any info I can get for my project:D

It really is that easy. The outback also has 1 inch spacers between the body and the frame. If you really want lift, do a little bit of body lift along with the struts. The idea of lift kits is to fit larger tires, as that will give you ground clearance.

It really is that easy. The outback also has 1 inch spacers between the body and the frame. If you really want lift, do a little bit of body lift along with the struts. The idea of lift kits is to fit larger tires, as that will give you ground clearance.

Oh really? lol. Thank god! Where do I find those spacers? How would I do the body lift?

I don't have a lot of money, so i'm looking for a cheap
i'd grit your teeth and wait this out if you can until finances aren't so tight. buying used strut assemblies can mean needing new struts some time in the future, higher lift can cause the axle boots to tear.

now that i'm done mitigating your mom, keep your eye out for a set of OBW struts. :lol: i think i posted pictures of my buddies Legacy L with OBW struts and WRX wheels.

the body spacers would be nice as they really aren't worth anything so if you can find them they should be cheap.

how about bigger tires next time you need tires? that incorporates an expense you already need to make anyway.

I plan on buying the parts over time, or payday to payday, and install it all at once, but I just don't know what I need. Does anyone have a complete list of parts? Or a link to a thread with step-by-step intructions, possibly with pictres? I need to get new tires soon, so i'm hoping to have the lift done by the time I need new tires.

1996-1999 OBW strut assemblies. just buy the entire assemblies, struts, coil, strut mount, etc - the entire assembly - it's really simple.

two bolts on the bottom, 3 up top and the entire thing comes out, really easy.

Wow, that's really easy, ok, Thanks. What about the spacers? How would I go about getting those?

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it.

spacers are going to be more difficult. find someone parting one out - like i believe there's a person or two parting out OBW's in the parts for sale forum here, or check subaruoutback.org (notice it's already staring at you on the helpful blue links above on this page you're currently looking at).

or find one in a yard and remove them. it requires unbolting the entire crossmembers to slide them out, so it's not a really simple thing, but it's not difficult. a typical yard isn't likely to remove them for you, but you can ask.

just find an OBW, or google images for it maybe, and crawl up under and look. they're really obvious between the front crossmember and body.

i just checked an online subaru dealer and they had front spacers for $1.90. not sure how many you'd need total but it might be worth looking into just getting a set of new ones if it's only $10 in parts.

subaru has a website called opposedforces with detailed exploded diagrams. personally i'd go through there, get the parts numbers, see how many you need and price them at an online subaru vendor.

or in the for sale section here's one being parted out:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=116346

and this guy has a complete outback:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=122653

and there's more here and at subaruoutback.org

now go research, work these ends and get lifted!

Edited by grossgary

So I checked out opposed forces, and they show it on the diagram, and it's labled #1. I look up the part number for #1, and the list starts at #2, and completely skips #1. So Their apparently isn't a part #?? Here's the page I looked at....

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b11/type_9/suspension_and_axle/front_suspension/illustration_1/

Edited by TBFK

Here are some part numbers I put together for the "body spacers" awhile ago:

OEM Body-lift parts:

20570AC040 (2x) - Front Subframe Spacer 95-99 OBK

20540AC000 (2x) - Front Subframe bolts 95-99 OBK

34160AC030 - Steering Joint (longer) 95-99 OBK

20570AC030 (2x) - Rear Subframe Spacer 95-99 OBK

901000167 (4x) - Rear Subframe bolts 95-99 OBK

41337AC010 (2x) - Rear Diff support spacer 95-99 OBK

41321AC020 (2x) - Rear Diff mounting brackets 95-99 OBK

41332AC000 (2x) - Rear Diff mounting bolt 95-99 OBK

20520AC030 - RH Trailing link bracket 97-99 OBK

20520AC040 - LH Trailing link bracket 97-99 OBK

41021AC370/41021AC330/41021AC470 - 5MT Transmission crossmember 95-99 OBK

41040AC000 - Pitch rod 95-99 OBK

32035aa060 - Pitch rod mount (transmission side) 03+ Forester/95-99 OBK

I just want to note that most everything that applies to 90-99 Legacies also applies to 93-07 Impreza's, so take a look at the "How to lift your Impreza" thread for some guidance too.

Also note, if you just want to do a 1"-2" suspension lift, IMO the body spacers are not required. I only have about a 2.5" suspension lift with my Impreza, and the CV's (axles) are still at good angles. The body-lift is meant to compensate for axle angles being too far away from spec.

i agree with Kost - i wouldn't use the body spacers either. they really "reduce the clearance of your drivetrain by pushing it back down. so you raise the suspension with larger struts but push the engine and drivetrain back down with the spacers.

i have a 2" lift as well with no body spacers. the spacers don't actually "lift" your car at all, they just reduce the angle of your axles, which isn't really necessary for 2" or less.

Ok, thanks for all the information! I really appreciate it, and i'll have to post some before and after pictures too. I just got quoted $1K for Custom front and rear steel bumpers too! With light bars, and winch attachments for the front and rear as well:grin: Can't wait!!

• 1 month later...

Hey there! I have a 93 Legacy wagon LSI and also want a lift. I have read that Forester shocks and struts offer greater lift. I also saw something that said that they would not work with the air adjust shocks that both of ours probably have. Mine has been disabled, but might still be a problem? Any advice on the forester stuff working on a Legacy? Found 4 KYB GR2 shock/struts for the forester new for $277.65 on ebay motors. Like you, just looking for some easy ground clearance. Thanks much!

for the 90-99 legacy all you need is the stuts from a outback. i use 1998 ob struts. thats it. you can use your stock springs, top hats etc. i've done this on 2 of my subie's and have had no issues with cv's or allignment or anything else.

my 96 with outback struts and 215/65/16 general grabbers

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm132/pamike/subaru/SANY0669.jpg

my 90 with the same struts and 205/75/15 general grabber tires

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm132/pamike/subaru/SANY0044.jpg

Here's a comparison picture of the ground clearance of a legacy brigton with Outback struts only, and a Outback with the factory subframe spacers ect:

picture.php?albumid=19&pictureid=3183

Both are on the same size tires.

There are no axle or ball joint issues with running just the taller struts. You can bring it into alignment specs too. If you're picky you can put in rear camber bolts, but it really isn't an issue.

Swapping the rear trailing arm mounts where it bolts under the back seat to outback or forester ones will help re-center the rear wheel in the wheel well, but again, that's optional and not necessary. It does help keep bigger tires from rubbing on the rocker panel though.

with my 90, i rub on the mud flaps when hitting hard bumps. it is very close to the rocker panel and i had to remove the plastic guard that was on the end of the rocker because the tire hit it. if i put the trailing arm brackets on i think i would rub more on the mud flaps. :lol: