Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2003 Subaru Forester | violent engine shake, idle | stalls out wont accelerate

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Shera1231

Shera1231

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Scranton

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:47 PM

Hello, I have a 2003 Subaru Forester with 132,000 miles. Recently I started the car up and noticed the engine was shaking very roughly. It continued to shake when I put it in Drive. Called a tow truck and when they came to pick me up started the car up and it was fine, no check engine light nothing. Took it to a dealership hooked it up to the computer & they could not find a problem as there was no check engine light on. Suggested changing spark plugs and wires. Today started it up shaking again. Entire engine is rocking back and forth, put it in drive and stalled out several times, put gas and fuel injection cleaner in it no effect. Now it barely accelerates over 5 mph. Anyone have suggestions as to what may be wrong???
:slobber: :slobber: :slobber::eek:

#2 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 7,877 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 17 May 2011 - 04:23 PM

It's misfiring. Probably needs plugs and wires. Seems odd the Check engine light isn't on. Does it come on during the bulb test when you turn the key?

#3 bheinen74

bheinen74

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • central Iowa

Posted 17 May 2011 - 04:27 PM

sounds like some sort of CEL without a light being flashed. Might be a number of sensors from knock sensor to coolant temp sensor. could also be a sporadic IACV

You can get a code reader from harbor freight for less then 50 bucks using coupon codes.

#4 Shera1231

Shera1231

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Scranton

Posted 18 May 2011 - 10:23 AM

@ Fairtax4me, We changed the spark plugs and wires yesterday the engine ran slightly better as far as acceleration but is still running very shaky. Engine itself is rocking back and forth. The check engine light is on now flashing actually took it to a garage to see if they can figure it out. I will repost when I find a fix! Waiting to hear back from the garage. Thanks for your input! :)

#5 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,179 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 18 May 2011 - 10:29 AM

couldbe the engine temp sensor, or a dirty/malfunctioning idle air control valve. It should show a code for one or the other, as well as misfire codes. The IAC malfunction can be cause by a bad temp sensor

#6 Ricearu

Ricearu

Official De-Ricer!

• Members
  • 1,208 posts
  • DFW, TX

Posted 18 May 2011 - 10:51 AM

Could be dead ignition coil. one side could be failing.

#7 Shera1231

Shera1231

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Scranton

Posted 20 May 2011 - 09:15 AM

@MilesFox.. You got it! Needed a new ignition coil! Should be getting it back soon. Thanks for your help guys! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users