Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2003 Subaru Forester | violent engine shake, idle | stalls out wont accelerate

Hello, I have a 2003 Subaru Forester with 132,000 miles. Recently I started the car up and noticed the engine was shaking very roughly. It continued to shake when I put it in Drive. Called a tow truck and when they came to pick me up started the car up and it was fine, no check engine light nothing. Took it to a dealership hooked it up to the computer & they could not find a problem as there was no check engine light on. Suggested changing spark plugs and wires. Today started it up shaking again. Entire engine is rocking back and forth, put it in drive and stalled out several times, put gas and fuel injection cleaner in it no effect. Now it barely accelerates over 5 mph. Anyone have suggestions as to what may be wrong???

:slobber: :slobber: :slobber::eek:

sounds like some sort of CEL without a light being flashed. Might be a number of sensors from knock sensor to coolant temp sensor. could also be a sporadic IACV

You can get a code reader from harbor freight for less then 50 bucks using coupon codes.

@ Fairtax4me, We changed the spark plugs and wires yesterday the engine ran slightly better as far as acceleration but is still running very shaky. Engine itself is rocking back and forth. The check engine light is on now flashing actually took it to a garage to see if they can figure it out. I will repost when I find a fix! Waiting to hear back from the garage. Thanks for your input! :)