Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brainstorming some Justy Powertrain replacements

Following a discussion at last month's rallyx, I have been looking into full on powertrain replacements for the justy... We're talking engine, tranny, and rear diff. I haven't done much fab work so I don't really think I am up to change from a transverse to longitudinal mount and have an EJ series engine (like rallyjusty)

It might be simpler to find another transverse mount AWD setup from *gasp!* another manufacturer. So far, I know of the:

Toyota Celica Alltrac

Mitsubishi Galant VR4

Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

Nissan GTI-R

I think most of these were made in the early 90's so front clips might be pretty cheap. I was leaning towards the Mitsu's due to how many I saw at the last rallyx.

Anyway, I just thought I'd bounce this off some of the more knowledgable people out there, kind of see what you guys think...

Of course for now I might just try to get some more HP out of my engine, and look into that viscous coupler.

if anything like this was ever done, and not just talked about, that would rule! dsm, themitsubishi would be the best for that, because of all the aftermarket, and the fact that you can run 20 lbs without any other real mods. it has a viscous coupling, but you might have to put the engine in the back, so it will fit.

any of those sidewinders, would need to be put in as one piece, because they would never seperate tranny to engine, while in the engine bay.

or you could just stick a 2.2 in there, thats a new one. =]