Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Older 1993 Legacy 2.2 AT Ignition/Key issue and question

I'm driving a '93 Legacy right now. Car has worked pretty well; a few minor issues but seems good. One odd thing did happen to me on a recent 6 hr drive to NYC, coming back midway and during my refueling rest break.

Car had been sitting like 10 minutes with key maybe in on position to power my gps map which I was playing with for 10 minutes to figure out the route.

I try to start the car, and it doesn't turn over like usual. Lights are on though on the dashboard, just turning the key to start the starter produces no action. Turn off for a while and again try a few times, and eventually it starts.

What could cause this weird one time occurance? Once I had a loose battery terminal but in that case the dash lights showed that that was the case--similar to having a dead battery. Not sure what went on this time.

My other question... I've noticed that this 1993 subaru is different (from my 1995 imp) in that the ignition will start on the second click, not the first turn of the key. Is this a weird old subaru safety feature or also a defect in the ignition system?

the starter probably isn't getting enough electricity. check you battery post connections first and make sure it is fully charged, maybe check that the alternator is doing its job.

but it is probably either the contacts in the starter solenoid or there is voltage drop in the wires and the ignition switch.

the starter contacts are not expensive, ~$15, and it isn't difficult to do. you do have to remove the starter.

i fixed mine by adding a relay to the starter circuit. specifically, to the wire that goes from the ignition switch and feeds electricity to the starter solenoid. that's the small wire attached to the starter. the relay and fused power wire you need cost about the same as the contacts. but i was reluctant to ''open'' the starter solenoid and i had read that this would fix my problem.

try searching ''starter relay'' or maybe ''starterrelay'' or starter relay fix.

i found it. the relay fix write up :

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showpost.php?p=67805&postcount=1

more discussion on the subject:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?p=812232#post812232

Edited by johnceggleston