Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Awd issue after Trans swap! HELP!!!

Hey I'm new here and looking for some friendly advice from someone who knows more than I!

I have a 93 Legacy Auto 2.2 AWD that I bought for a nice price but it had AWD issues meaning the clutch packet was shot. I drove it for 20k like this with the FWD fuse in. So i bought a used trans from a buddy thinking I would slap her in when this trans ************s the bed. It just started making horrible shuddering noises around corners and slipping, so I swapped it out for the new used one and it all seemed to go pretty smooth, no check engine light, shifts smoothly. but seems to have a binding feeling in the rear around corners, something is wrong! could it be my rear Diff? rear CV? Any advice would be appreciated, I need the Awd to go skiing!

Cheers, Josh

Welcome!

It sounds like your "new" transmission is having the same issue as the old one. Those are the same symptoms. Have you tried putting in he FWD fuse with the new trans? i would try that and see if it helps.

The other thing I would do is a drain and fill, three times. Yes the three times is the important part. Drain it, fill it, drive around for about 10 miles, then repeat the process two more times. That will usually free up any "gumminess" that the clutch packs might have. Doing this can also make a big difference in the way the trans acts all together. Really helped with mine.

Do you have any info on the "new" trans' history? Did it work when pulled? Why did he get rid of it? That sort of thing. Might help with trying to figure out what might be wrong with it...

From what you describe, it is possible that the final drive ratio on the transmission you installed does NOT match that of the existing rear differential. You must get a matching rear differential, and not drive it until then, unless you want to destroy the transfer clutch in the transmission.

If it absolutely must be driven until the rear diff is in, installing the FWD fuse may help limit the damage.

Another possibility is the transmission you got already had torque bind before, and you are just inheriting the problem.

1. final drive ratio does not match

or

2. torque bind again

do you know what vehicle the used trans came out of, year, make, model, trim? different subaru's get different final drive ratios.

but it's pretty simple there's only 3.9, 4.11, and 4.44 for legacy auto's, so it's going to be one of those.

all you need to do is get a matching rear differential to match the front diff ratio of the new trans. (this is assuming this is the cause and not torque bind - so you'll have to figure that out first)

an easier way to do this would have been to swap the rear extension housing off your buddies transmission into the original. that doesn't require dropping the trans and can be done in the car, would have saved a lot of effort and not had to worry about diff ratios.