Ultimate Subaru Message Board

06 B9 Tribeca blue smoke at startup

Hi All,

I have a 2006 B9 Tribeca with about 90,000 miles on it. It had started blowing blue smoke out of the exhaust only on cold starts. I did some research and found out this is most likely worn guide seals. I don't see any smoke while driving, and I had a friend follow me and he didn't see anything either.

When the weather was warmer, I didn't see any smoke at startup.

I have had regular oil changes, and was told that my oil levels were normal. My last oil change was January, and I had someone check my oil level today. I needed to add a quart of oil. I had also noticed that the display in my car was reading an average of 18 MPG and now shows 17.4 average MPG (not sure if it matters in this case).

My question is...with this vehicle, what kind of cost might I expect for fixing the valve seals? I still owe on the car (I bought it used in 2009). I don't want the cost to outweigh the value of the car.

Also, how long can I wait to have the repair done? Is this a repair that most shops can do or do I need to go to a dealership?

Thanks for your help.

The repair will definitely not outweigh the value of the vehicle. A dealership will charge A LOT to do this because it is almost all labor with very little parts expense. I would go with an independent mechanic that is familiar with subarus, but as far as I know there is nothing all that unique about doing this on a subaru engine vs any other make/model engine.

In my opinion it is more of an annoyance than anything and as long as you keep your oil level up you are ok, but I know it can be a little embarrasing especially on a newer vehicle.

A .6 difference in average MPG is not anything to worry about, that small of a fluctuation could be due to temperature differences, tire pressure differences, or weight of cargo you are carrying around. I would venture to say that much fluctuation is normal.

Gas mileage in the winter sucks. You say you're in MA. So you get crappy winter blend fuel. That with letting the car warm up in the morning, etc. It kills gas mileage. Between mid summer and mid winter I'll probably have a 3+ mpg difference on any given car.

Checking and adding oil at the gas station really isn't a big deal...

Valve guide seals won't be fun on that... It's really super cramped up working on those.

Hi All,

I have a 2006 B9 Tribeca with about 90,000 miles on it. It had started blowing blue smoke out of the exhaust only on cold starts. I did some research and found out this is most likely worn guide seals. I don't see any smoke while driving, and I had a friend follow me and he didn't see anything either.

When the weather was warmer, I didn't see any smoke at startup.

I have had regular oil changes, and was told that my oil levels were normal. My last oil change was January, and I had someone check my oil level today. I needed to add a quart of oil. I had also noticed that the display in my car was reading an average of 18 MPG and now shows 17.4 average MPG (not sure if it matters in this case).

My question is...with this vehicle, what kind of cost might I expect for fixing the valve seals? I still owe on the car (I bought it used in 2009). I don't want the cost to outweigh the value of the car.

Also, how long can I wait to have the repair done? Is this a repair that most shops can do or do I need to go to a dealership?

Thanks for your help.

I think there is a Subaru service bulletin for the Tribeca on this. PCV/PCVhoses blocked with sludge/ causing smoking on start up.

Edited by Robert Harik

thats a H6 engine right? There was much debate on the SVX forum that it is quite normal, now i am talking the eg33 that, on cold start-up a quick puff of smoke is normal, well that they do it and no concern to be worried of.

I think it is of nothing at all, keep up on your oil change schedule and check oil levels every 1500 miles or every other fillup.