Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello from Southwestern Michigan

New to this forum.

I bought a 1995 Legacy Sedan LS at an auction for $600.

Got it for my daughter who just got her license.

I'm here just lookin' for info & a line on a few parts that may be needed.

The car has 279,000 miles on it (I know, it's just broke in...lol).

And of course, I have NO idea what it's history is.

From looking around this forum, it looks like I probably need to change the timing belt & w/p. Possibly head gaskets.

I got under the car yesterday and I didn't see any noticeable oil or fluid leaks.

The brakes seem a bit low & looking at the rotors thru the wheels, it looks as if it's time to replace calipers & rotors.

Otherwise, it runs great and everything works. Although my friend who followed me back from the auction said that the car dog-tracked down the road (front & rear not tracking the same) and the steering wheel is pointing to about the 1 O'clock position.

I'll try to post some pics when I get a chance.

Dan

BTW.. I had an '81 GL (cyclops) wagon 15 or so years ago.. it was a blast to drive.

Welcome and congrats on the '95 Legacy. I drive one--the EJ22 is a great engine, non-interference and virtually bulletproof! It's OBD-II so you can pull codes with a reader.

Definitely do the timing belt, all the idlers and water pump (check ebay and "theimportexperts" for the best prices on these.) Replace the thermostat and gasket (both OEM.) Replace the crank & cam seals (use OEM.) Pull the oil pump--inspect, tighten any loose screws and re-seal with a new o-ring and Permatex Ultra-grey. Replace the PCV valve and clean out the attached hoses.

Might want to get new spark plugs (most basic NGK coppers are the best) and wires (suggest OEM.) Change all fluids and filters too.

If the car has received half-way decent care before, you should be good to go for quite awhile.

By all means ask questions as they come up. But learn how to control the "search" function on here--this board is better than an encyclopedia, you can find everything you need to know to work on your new Subaru.

And best of luck. :)