Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5spd swap on-road car

TriXTuning

not that this is terribly helpful to your post but you will not be anywhere near 160 hp with a ea82t. search around. then set that motor on fire. secondly, lifting a car doesnt change how the trans works. as for open/closed diff q's i hear youtube can clear you up with helpful as to which trans is best for asphalt. 4wd=no center diff=offroad. awd, center diff, if difflock is engaged it acts like 4wd. lifted guys use dr 5mts because of the lo range. and welcome aboard.

The single range 4wd 5 speeds have no center diff its just fwd and straight 4wd, the full time 4wd tranys have a center diff that is ether open, no LSD, or locked in true 4wd.

So hear is my recommendation to meet your goal, if you are already going to have to install a wiring harness don't bother with the 82t its a overcomplicated mess that dosen't make any power has over heating issues and tends to have catastrophic failures. Just swap in a ej22 and and ej 5speed, this will get you a good awd with a stronger trans and a more reliable more power full engine for the same amount of work.

I'm not sure you're going to fit an EA82 or an EJ between the framerails without modification. The Ea82 has the disty in the back corner...EJ might be easier, and definately a better motor choice.

As for trans, go with the AWD 5spd....3.9 or even a 3.54 from a WRX would be great. But a 3.9 legacy trans would be great too. On road, you've got all 4 wheels down most of the time, so a bit of wheel spin at one wheel and you'll still get some power through the LSD to the rest of the wheels.

The full time w/difflock is good too, but if you're not offroading, you don't need "lock". On road, it's a true open diff, so one wheel spinning and you DO lose all drive to the others. These trans are best for cars that see alot of mixed on/off road driving.

my vote: EJ18 or 22 w/3.9 AWD trans.

The early cars are either 4x4 or a fairly useless open center full time 4x4. The open center diff means that all the power will go to the wheel with the least traction. The center diff lock turns it into a normal 4x4. The pushbutton 4x4's are FWD or locked 4x4 like a truck.

I believe you can use an EJ transfer housing and center diff on an EA transmission by swapping the countershaft and the pinion shaft to an EJ one. That's a lot of work just to keep the EA82t motor and have a reasonable AWD system.

The wiring work to put an EA82t in is the same as putting in much more reliable and powerful EJ engines. It's a MPFI swap into a carbed car. If you want a turbo, use a ej22t from a 90-94 legacy. I'm pretty sure you'll be doing framerail notching whether you use a ea82 or an EJ22 in an ea71 engine bay.

You can make the same power as a turned up turbo ea82 with a non-turbo EJ25 with EJ22 heads, plus it won't blow up if you look at it wrong. Use a turbo EJ engine and you can way exceed that.

You can do the same amount of work to install a mediocre and unsupported by the aftermarket drivetrain or a modern engine with a huge aftermarket.

The best would be to use a newer WRX wiring harness because the ECU's are fully cracked and can be used as a stand alone with open source tuning. Makes it really easy to make big power. You will have to notch the framerails quite a bit to fit the DOHC heads in though.

I think you just entirely missed the point of what everyone said. :confused:

An AWD EJ trans with a viscous limited slip center diff delivers power evenly to all 4 wheels, if one front wheel starts to slip the center diff still delivers power to the rear wheels, so at least one rear wheel will have power. You don't need to switch between 2wd and 4wd to drive it on road. With the AWD trans, it's always driving all 4 wheels, but the center diff allows enough slip for it to be driven safely on dry pavement. Bottom line with AWD is at least 2 wheels will have some amount of power going to them all the time.

Any 4wd transmission is going to be Fwd until you put it in 4wd. When it's in Fwd if one wheel slips you lose all your traction through that wheel.

4wd transmission with center lock diff will be undriveable on dry pavement, you will have to shift back into 2wd, at which point you only get traction on one wheel. Even with the center diff locked, you still only have power to two wheels, this will do you no better in the rain than an awd trans, but you still have to shift between 2wd and 4wd.

4wd transmission with an open center diff, you might as well have 2wd. If one wheels slips you're just SOL, because all the power will escape through that one spinning wheel.

Thanks for the replys. I am going to stick with the manual 4x4 trans. As I confrimed via your replies the AWD trans would be useless to put any power down if a front tire decides to spin. As far as motor goes the single overhead cam fits, but the dual requires notching the frame.

I have an 86 GL with a 2.2, and a 4.11 AWD 5spd. It definately transfers power, even with some wheel spin(which isn't much, and will be less with an EA82T)

A 4x4 trans will be just a FWD trans any time you are on the road = no drive to rear, no drive to front if one spins other will get no power.

Also, the stock EA71 crossmember isn't going to fit an EA82T very well. If anything......use SPFI pistons, and run that EA82 as non-turbo....you'll be happier in the long run.

Sounds like you don't really want opinions though.....you want validation for a project that has some serious flaws in the plan. Sorry if we aren't giving you the answers you want.