Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What would be the ultimate frankensoob for off road

BlackBoot

True, starting with an EJ platform has many benefits. However, there are two reasons I prefer the EA: the narrow width of the wheel track, and the extremely tight turning radius. I wonder if one could make an EJ with the turning radius of the EA. Is it all in the steering rack? :D

the body on the gen1 EJ is only about 1" wider then the EA82

There are lots of pre cut and bent cage kits for impreza, with all sorts of options.

I think it would be worth the investment to get all the bent pieces, and fab the easy pieces?

Approved cage parts, takes the guesswork out of engineering this project safely.

Also saves time, instead of messing about with difficult bends and no pattern to work off, but i'm sure there are some free impreza cage plans out there somewhere?

There are lots of pre cut and bent cage kits for impreza, with all sorts of options.

I think it would be worth the investment to get all the bent pieces, and fab the easy pieces?

Approved cage parts, takes the guesswork out of engineering this project safely.

Also saves time, instead of messing about with difficult bends and no pattern to work off, but i'm sure there are some free impreza cage plans out there somewhere?

I have atubing bender so the cage is no problem

• 1 month later...
the body on the gen1 EJ is only about 1" wider then the EA82

More like 4 inches of track width. (compared with similar offset wheels)

Each front wheel on my EA81 wagon, with EA82 front end, sticks out about 2-1/2 inches past the body.

EA81s came with a deeper offset wheel standard. So when you compare to an EA82 with the same wheels on it the difference is larger than on 2 stock vehichles.

Subaru specs

EA81 = 63.8 inches wide overall

EA82 = 65.4 inches wide overall

No specs are given for track width, just the body.

I dont know about a 3 door for sure, but be sure to snag the bearing between the trans and rear end if it has one. I believe they are welded in, but I could be thinking of people who were just moving them.

also the gas tanks often have reliefs for the rear diff, so check in the wrecked one to see.

• 2 weeks later...