Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have an 04 Outback 2.5 engine. Had shop recharge system, but didn't fix problem. Unit cuts in and out, screeches. Shop said compressor was sparking and has to be replaced. Does this seem right? Recommendation on new vs junk yard? Threads I've read indicate compressor failure is rare. In looking for replacement, what year and models would be a match? Are all 2.5 a/c the same? Looking at new online shows a lack of aftermarket for 2004 Outback. Would 2005 match? Thanks for the assistance. Paul

I'd probably go with a JY compressor myself, they don't fail very often. Just pull one out of a car that has pressure in the system. I never pull AC parts from cars that have a depressurized system, because maybe the part you want caused the system to fail

Can't tell you what's compatible in 3rd gen land, but 4th gen compressors look a lot different than 3rd gens, I'd think it wouldn't work.

There are a number of reasons that junkyard compressors are the way to go:

1. they are so cheap. subaru compressors don't fail often so they're almost worthless as a used part anyway. i don't bother keeping them half the time if i part a car out.

2. they are so easy to replace. remove the belt, remove 2 12mm bolts for the lines, and the 3-5 14mm bolts holding it in place and out it comes. super easy.

http://www.car-parts.com is the database the junkyards use, find a decent priced one and have it shipped rather than pay high local prices.

you can also post here for one, someone may have one in the parts wanted forum. usually a couple folks parting one out too - someone is parting out a 2001 OBW in the parts wanted forum here, contact them.

compressors do fail, just not often. if it has enough (and not too much) refrigerant and the comp seems to be cracking up then it's probably bad. hard to say without working on it myself of course but if a shop said that and things are adding up then it's easy to believe.

Edited by grossgary