Ultimate Subaru Message Board

race car gear box SVX any good ( help )

Hi all I am looking to use a SVx auto gear box from a jap front cut .I race a class one off road race car with a toyota v8 quad cam and thinking of mid mounting the v8 behind the seat with the auto out the back .I have found a auto box and trying to work out the gear ratios of the auto before I buy it .

How strong are the boxes ????

can any one help me please neil from australia

You don't mention the year of the tranny.. they were stronger toward the end of the SVX production.. but the bottom line is that the SVX auto trans (IMO) sucks.. they were the weak point of that car.
The U.S SVX auto tranmissions are not weak, the problem with them is cooling, if you do a level 10 rebuild to one there good for over 500 horse power with the stock gear set. The level 10 rebuild increases the size of the fluid passages which makes the auto bullet proof, if done right.

The JDM, and euro SVXs have a diffrent auto than the U.S auto, it has a diffrent center diff set up and i think it is a totaly diffrent trannie,but it still suffers from failers I dont that trannies weak point.

So.. I have to ask.. what sort of shape was your tranny in when you swapped the 5 speed into your SVX..

I said they were the weak point of the car because every single SVX owner that I personally know has had at least one tranny change/rebuild done.. I would say that makes it qualify as a weak link regardless of the reason for failure.

So.. I have to ask.. what sort of shape was your tranny in when you swapped the 5 speed into your SVX..

I said they were the weak point of the car because every single SVX owner that I personally know has had at least one tranny change/rebuild done.. I would say that makes it qualify as a weak link regardless of the reason for failure.

The person i bought my svx from (bought it with out reverse) broke by putting into reverse while going forward. I know that the auto trannie are one of the weak points to the SVX but that weak point can easily be fixed, and then you would have a great race trannie that is probley beffeier than you would ever need.

I have to ask, how are you planning on sending power to the wheels? i like the idea of mid engine. however, there are three rotational outputs on those trannies as there is no extrenal removeable xfer case. Were you planning on turning the rear wheels with the transverse "front", near the bell houseing outputs and sending the longitudinal output (formerly rear) to the front? I am really confused. or are you planning on mounting the whole thing transverse and sending lfet to teh rear and right to the front?