Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just wondering if anyone has experience dropping a fuel tank out of a 2005 Legacy? Looks like the vent valve or fuel stop is stuck and will not allow air to vent while fuel filling. I have heard it is a miserable job. Looking for hints/suggestions/etc.

Speedwagon

I disconnected the line going from the tank to the evap can and fed air into the fuel filler neck. Used a rag to try and seal it from leaking. Used a hose to hold the flap open and pushed air down the hose. When I stopped air flow, I could hear and feel air come back up and out the hose in the filler neck. Didn't notice any air, or maybe just slightly, come out of line going to evap can. I don't think I can force air into the tank from the evap can line. The vent valve is the check valve that allows vapor flow one direction. I understand there is also an overfill shutoff valve in the tank that keeps fuel from going up the vent valve into the evap can. I suspect either of these could be my problem. May pull hose off of tank and try to "fish" a small hose or something into the tank and feel what it runs into.

Thanks for the suggestion! Any other thoughts?

Ah. I've only done this process on a Brat, so I didn't have any many things in the way as on a newer Legacy.

I have dropped the tank on my Legacy though. Pretty easy and straight forward, except rust was my biggest issue.

All the lines connect on top of the tank though, underneath the access panel inside the vehicle. But this was on a 98 Legacy. I don't know for sure on the newer ones.