Ultimate Subaru Message Board

heater core hoses

So I hear that aside from cv axels going out, heater core hoses commonly go too? The upper hose on my brat started a slow leak on me right at the base where its attached to the metal pipe on the back of the intake manofold. I'm gonna chop off the dead part and stick the hose back on so the part that leaks is illimanated for now sense the hose has some slack. Hopefully it'll hold for now until I can afford some new hoses.

CD:

I don't know that the heater hoses are any more prone to failure than any of the other cooling hoses. I would look at replacing ALL of them if it's been awhile.

The heater hoses are actually the least expensive ones to replace. Probably less than $5 for both, including new clamps. You can use universal hose, though molded ones fit a little better.

good luck, John

Yeah, I would get the hoses replaced pretty soon. I had one start leaking on me, so I cut it, and put it back in, the next day it blew open, literally, looked like somone had sliced it from one end to the other. I guess the little leak I had was keeping the pressure down enough to keep it from blowing.

Also, replace the bypass hose (littleone coming out the top of the water pump), that one blows alot, and has been the death of a number of soob engines.

yeah I'm going to replace them all with universal by the foot hose here after I get my paycheck today. the bypass hoses however look pretty good, and relativily new. So I'll worrie about them when they die. But I'm gonna take a look at the hose damage, the hose looks really old anyway, but I'm gonna see if I can be temporarly cheap and let the hose blow big time in a day lol:brow: I need somethin to get me to work tonight so I need a temp fix.