Ultimate Subaru Message Board

To six lug or Pug? That is the question!

There has been talk on this before, but I have yet to hear a definite answer, so here's the question:

My soob is getting lifted early this summer, and it needs 15" wheels on which to mount larger tires. I have two options here. Get pug wheels from somebody down south (pretty sure there aren't any in AK, and if they are it's going to be $$$) and pay for shipping up here, which could be kinda lame. Behind door number two is redrilling for six lug rims and buying some 'Yota pickup steels from a yard up here, which since they are pretty prolific vehicles, the rims themselves shouldn't be too expensive. Now, the problem I can see here is in actually redrilling my hubs. Realistically, for a first-timer who does have access to a drill press, how much work is this, and can I expect it to be safe, strong, and reliable?

Any input from people who have done this would be great.

Thanks.

First off I would suggest the 6 lug conversion. It opens up hundreds if not thousands of aftermarket Toyota, chevy, etc. wheels. At the time I didn't have drill press so I went to the machine shop and had them do it right. The studs dropped right in and lined up OEM as can be. The lugs area all perfectly true so there is no funny business. I would reccomend having a shop do it if you don't have the gear.

I aggree, I had a shop to do it for me a couple of times, costed 20 each i think. They even installed the studs for me.I had pugeot wheels for a while, the problem with them is they are only 7 inches wide, I wanted 29 10.50 tsl swampers. I tried to get them to put them on the peugot rime and they wouldnt because they said they werent safe. I had 29x 1050 tires with only a 3 inch lift, I love the six lug conversion, but there are some 6 lug rims that arent offset enough to clear the struts, the yard I got mine from let me try a few right there, I drove down there with 4 lug wheels, pulled front hub off and put on the six lug hub then tried rims untill i found the offset/look i wanted. on a second note the rims i have now have 32x 11.50 tsl swampers on them with only 6 inches of lift and fender triming, I also adjusted my wheel base a little about an inch. sorry for rambling.