Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Alternator rebuild or use a Mod?

I am at a T intersection here and need to figure out what works better and which way to turn.

After a long drawn out electrical problem, I am looking at 2 options. The first is to do the Mitsubishi alternator mod and put that one in. Or number 2 is to have my old alternator rebuilt locally and keep one as my spare.

To rebuild my old alternator, they charge $80 an hour plus parts. It could be just the brushes and contact for the old one, but I am not sure if the windings haven't gone bad.

Any advice or direction is appreciated.

If it were me I would look to the better option long term. Which parts would be more plentiful in 5 years should you have similar problems again. If you aren't dead set on keeping it original the mitsubishi option may be a better alternative.

I agree. I am weighing my options at this point. There is something to say about a car that's stock, but parts are becoming difficult if not impossible to get. It was a headache getting the stuff I had to get to get my car running again.

Would you know what year, model, make of the car that the alternator mod comes from? I want to put that in my book so I have a fall back.

Thanks.

I had my dealership try to install one of those and it had serious problems. The Hitachi that was pulled from my car I seriously want to have rebuilt only because I know it works.

I heard horror stories about the manufacturer rebuilts that are out there.

There's a thread on here for installing a Nissan Maxima alternator, too. I did this on the '78 and it was not difficult. It is internally regulated so you can do away with your external regulator. A bit of wiring but all in all worthwhile. Hopefully you have a wiring schematic- essential for every gen one owner, IMHO.

I'm doing an alternator upgrade on my 80 gl. I found out a lot of the problems I have been having has been due to bad wires it seems when the cars get this old the wiring starts to degrade especially since most of it is aluminum. Of course I am still:banghead: with a low charge and dash lights.

Good luck hopefully you don't run into too much trouble

I'm doing an alternator upgrade on my 80 gl. I found out a lot of the problems I have been having has been due to bad wires it seems when the cars get this old the wiring starts to degrade especially since most of it is aluminum. Of course I am still:banghead: with a low charge and dash lights.

Good luck hopefully you don't run into too much trouble

Never ran into aluminum wiring. All copper here that I can tell. I did have replace my alternator and V/R and we are good. I found a Delco Remy rebuilt Hitachi alternator for $50 thru Rock Auto parts. Rebuilt but certified to work. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...