Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Factory type stereo Wiring question

It appears to me to be the same. I bought a brand new, factory, stock, am/fm/cd deck off of eBay. It is exactly the same as the one in my 2003 Forester. I put the eBay deck into my 95 Legacy wagon and it plugged right in, the bolt holes were the same and everything. It was also a good time to replace all the burned out dash lights! So if it fits a 95, it should fit a 2003 and everything in between.

Hi Shawn and SDDR. Just a quick comment on this topic. I got my 95 Wagon from Japan, with what I presumed was the factory radio stuff. It all lit up, but did not make any sounds, so I decided to replace it. I also noticed that the FM frequency range was way outside of what is broadcast in UK. So , it was never going to work anyway, as a radio.

What I had to do, and still have not fully resolved yet, was to cut the antenna wire from the stock radio unit, because it was hard wired in to it.

After doing that, I then discovered that there were two connectors on the one cable; one was a traditional coax ariel connector, which plugged straight into my new Sony unit --------the other one was a socket with two holes. I still dont know what this other thing is for. Do you have this on your cars?

If I plug a bit of loose co-ax cable into one of the holes, it does seem to make the reception a bit better. I would be glad to know what its real function is. My power antenna works fine, as does all the rest of the unit. I dont however seem to get LW or MW radio stations. Mystery???

Urrabus, I'm not sure this will help, but... I don't recall all of the connections on the back of the stock radio I bought. I know that there were some sockets that I did not use. I think some of these were for connections to add a multi-disk cd changer and perhaps an amplifier. Not being much of an audiophile, once I heard the radio working I didn't worry about the empty holes. Next, I know that AM and, I think, FM broadcasts in the US are on a different set of frequencies than in Europe. I once had an aftermarket am/fm radio that I had to throw a switch to the US setting; it gave instructions to set it the other way for Europe. I've no idea what they do in Japan, but perhaps this is the reason it didn't work in Scotland. Anyway, the trick setup is to put in an aftermarket unit so you're all set there!