Ultimate Subaru Message Board

79 BRAT Clutch Issue

So, I'm rethinking my decision to sell my brat and I might just keep it. I will only keep it if I dont have to replace the clutch right now. I dont mind doing it down the road, but i dont have the money right now.

Now, when i drive my brat, it will not shift out of neutral if the vehicle is on. If i turn the engine off, put it in first gear, and then restart the engine, i can drive through to second or third gear. I dont think the clutch is worn out because it has a new clutch in it....help??? :/

Ive put probably 20 miles on this new clutch. I didnt replace it, i bought it that way. I just checked and the cable seems to be working correctly..How do i adjust it? If thats the case.

Check your clutch cable; make sure it's not frayed and that it is adjusted properly.  Otherwise, sounds like a clutch problem.  How new is the clutch?

Your clutch cable is either misadjusted or you have a bad clutch.  Your cable adjustment is at the end of the clutch cable at the throwout fork.  You'll see 2 nuts; 1 is a locknut and the other adjusts cable tension.  I suggest getting a maintenance manual. 

I don't think you have a bad clutch. More than likely it just needs to be adjusted in. If you can't put it in gear while the engine is running from neutral then the clutch is in contact with the flywheel and is turning a bit. Since it shifts when you are driving the clutch is disengaging some. The reason you can shift while on the go is because the gears are turning and the syncronizers allow them to mesh and shift. However if you keep this up you will RUIN you your synchronizers and be taking the trans apart soon. So brother STOP DOING THAT. Go tell your dad to calm down and lets get your clutch setup. Adjusting the clutch is simple. Look at the picture I posted below. This is on the driver side (referred to left side) of the engine/transmission. You will have to take the spare out to get in here. Put a wrench on the adjusting nut and hold it while you loosen the locking nut. Only loosen it enough to break contact with the adjusting nut. Take some pliers and hold on to the brass looking part behind the adjusting nut that looks like a long nut right near that black boot on the cable. Start tightening the  adjusting nut. This will push the clucth fork towards the firewall and move the clucth plate away from the flywheel. Books will say leave such and such inches of play in the pedal. I've never been good at telling how much play there is in a pedal. So just tughten the adjusting nut 2 or 3 complete turns. At this point you can leave the locking nut loose as you may need to adjust it more. Get in the Brat, crank it and see if it goes in gear. If not then turn it off and adjust in a couple of more turns. Don't go crazy and start adjusting it 10 turns at a time because a little will go a long way here. If you find you can put it in gear from neutral while running try taking the brat around the block and see how it feels shifting. If it feels like the clutch is slipping while the pedal it all the way out then you've gone a little too far. Loosen the adjusting nut a bit and try again. After it is where everything feels right tighten the locking nut against the adjusting nut and this will hold your adjustment in place. Do not leave the engine running while you are working under the hood. Get a finger caught in the fanbelt and you will know why.

Clutchfork.jpg

Edited by maestro

On a nother not, if mine sits a while the clutch will get stuck to the flywheel and not disengage. Smptoms of this are after you crank the engine in neatral it will not go into gear. With the engine off and in gear with clutch pressed down the whole vehicle will lurch forward while cranking the engine. Yours doesn't do that does it?

On a nother not, if mine sits a while the clutch will get stuck to the flywheel and not disengage. Smptoms of this are after you crank the engine in neatral it will not go into gear. With the engine off and in gear with clutch pressed down the whole vehicle will lurch forward while cranking the engine. Yours doesn't do that does it?

IT DOES EXACTLY THAT!

Okay well your clutch is stuck to the flywheel. Mine had done this a few times. I am not sure what it is about our vehicles that make them more susceptible to than other vehicles but there it is. I also don't know how to prevent it other than make sure you get out and drive it at least every couple of weeks or so. Now to fix it... I put it in gear with the engine off. Next I push in the clutch and crank the engine. The starter will lurch the brat forward or backward depending on what gear you are in. Use first or reverse. I haven't used a higher gear before but that may be okay too. Keep the clutch pressed in. Eventually it should break loose and all will be well. Be sure you have plenty of space in the direction you are lurching as the engine just might start running and you will find yourself moving quickly down the road. If the starter method doesn't work try going down the road in 1rst gear. With the clutch pressed in start flooring the accelerator and letting off. The goal is not to gain speed. The goal is to put torque on the clutch and flywheel kind of on and off to break it loose.  I have heard of some people who have had vehicles that none of this worked for. The only alternative then is to pull the engine and remove the clutch. May as well put a new one in and surface the flywheel while you are there. Please keep us up to date on how this works out for you.

Okay well your clutch is stuck to the flywheel. Mine had done this a few times. I am not sure what it is about our vehicles that make them more susceptible to than other vehicles but there it is. I also don't know how to prevent it other than make sure you get out and drive it at least every couple of weeks or so. Now to fix it... I put it in gear with the engine off. Next I push in the clutch and crank the engine. The starter will lurch the brat forward or backward depending on what gear you are in. Use first or reverse. I haven't used a higher gear before but that may be okay too. Keep the clutch pressed in. Eventually it should break loose and all will be well. Be sure you have plenty of space in the direction you are lurching as the engine just might start running and you will find yourself moving quickly down the road. If the starter method doesn't work try going down the road in 1rst gear. With the clutch pressed in start flooring the accelerator and letting off. The goal is not to gain speed. The goal is to put torque on the clutch and flywheel kind of on and off to break it loose.  I have heard of some people who have had vehicles that none of this worked for. The only alternative then is to pull the engine and remove the clutch. May as well put a new one in and surface the flywheel while you are there. Please keep us up to date on how this works out for you.

Just tried the first method about 15 times. No luck. I'm about to go try the second method. Wish me luck.

If the secon method doesn't work you can try, being very careful, raising the front end with a jack, put stands under to support the brat's front wheels off the ground. Hold the clutch pedal down and crank the engine in gear, you can try different gears, make sure you are NOT in 4wd. Now the engine is running, front wheels are turning, get your engine revving up, not wide open but be generous, nail the brakes hard. It is probably best to wedge something against the cluctch pedal to keep it down do you can hold the gas pedal and hit the brakes at the same time.

Last resort and most dangerous method will be to get a second person to lift the front of the brat off the ground at the front, put it ins reverse and crank it. Engine is running with you in it of course, clutch pedal is pressed to the floor, engine is revving, front wheels are turning, use reverse only so you don't go forward because the other person is going to be in front of the car and will drop the car suddenly. You don't want to run over your guy with the jack. Be prepared to run backwards quicky.

Hopefully tour transmission will survive these shocks and be okay.

If none of this works then your only alternatives are to pull the engine and put a new clutch in, be sure to get the flywheels resurfaced or sell me the brat really cheap ;-)

Seriously, be careful man. Its not worth wrecking or getting hurt. Don't do it if you feel its too dangerous. You are responsible for anything that goes wrong, including damages, injury and death not me or anyone else on here.

That being said I'd love it if you could get some pics of that roof rack. I want to custom make one for mine.

So I put a new clutch cable in. Lost motivation to work on the BRAT, but today regained some of my motivation and tried to get it running and ish. Last night i moved it into the garage by driving it in. I then unplugged the negative side of the battery. I went to start it today and nothing. nothing at all. I turned the key half way and it made a buzzing sound like usual and then i went to crank it over and nothing. I think it has something to do with the clutch not enableing, therefore not allowing the vehicle to start.....? Anyone know whats going on?  

Yeah all that bumping the starter with the clutch stuck could have burned out the starter, it is a risk. Usually if the starter is bad it will do nothing though. Probably though you just need to clean the battery posts and connectors on the cables and reconnect. Could be the battery is low charge. Bad cables. This old brat doesn't have the safety feature that disables the starter if the clutch pedal is not pressed in.