Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello everyone, so I just got myself a 1998 Red Legacy Wagon, in 5 speed with the 2.2L engine. P0440 error code is present.

I got it for pretty cheap and knew going in that the evap system is a mess, the previous owner installed what I believe is the wrong filler neck? I have two open hoses that smell of raw gas in the wheel well. I also found an extra middle access port above the gas tank, opened that up and there are also disconnected hoses there. I'm trying to find help regarding what the system is supposed to look like.

The two little hoses are super rusted out, I'm thinking of tearing them out all the way back to where ever they connect and just replacing them with rubber hose? I also saw the post where the guy replaced his with a copper tube, even though that's the older model I believe with just one hose.

Anyways I took some pictures, open connections are circled in red. I'm looking for help on how I can repair the system, or what the system is supposed to look like when it's not butchered :)

[Album of pictures here]

I once read (or saw a video?) of a guy that rebuilt fuel and vapor lines for a pickup truck. He just bypassed the hard routing (like over the tank w'ever) .

It may be doable. But, I'd suspect getting the entire system from a junkyard or parts car would be an  easier path to success.

hope someone replies with more details for you.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

I once read (or saw a video?) of a guy that rebuilt fuel and vapor lines for a pickup truck. He just bypassed the hard routing (like over the tank w'ever) .

It may be doable. But, I'd suspect getting the entire system from a junkyard or parts car would be an  easier path to success.

hope someone replies with more details for you.

I actually went to junkyard - the Subarus there either had their fuel filler neck and other parts missing, or they were as rusty as mine... From diagrams I understand what the two small pipes in wheel well do I think... I do not understand the disconnected hard lines on the top of fuel tank...

edit: copy/paste from some other thread

There are 3 hoses connected to the canister:

1. PURGE - Leads to a purge solenoid near the throttle body (mine was under the intake manifold). This solenoid is connected to the throttle body, and when open, draws a vacuum on the whole system, sucking fuel vapors out of the canister for clean burning

2. VENT - this allows clean air to enter the system, which is needed to displace gas that you burn. There is also a solenoid controlling this hose, called the vent solenoid.

3. CHARGE - this line connects to the top of the gas tank and is where the fuel vapors come from

Edited by vladvv