Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How to disable door beeper on 1996 Legacy

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 homeschoolingmama

homeschoolingmama

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Sandy, Oregon

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:35 PM

So our door beeper isn't working completely correctly or even dependably.  Mostly, we're just really tired of listening to it beep any time the driver door is open, with or without keys in the ignition.  Can someone tell us how to disable the beeper?  We've looked at wiring diagrams and schematics and just really didn't find anything useful in our Haynes manual.  We like the lights coming on when the door is open, just hate the beeper!  Anyone fight this battle and win?  Please share your wisdom!

#2 torxxx

torxxx

I void warranties

• Members
  • 2,914 posts
  • Fairbanks

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:50 AM

theres 2 small black wires that run up the steering column and tie into the key/tumbler for the ignition

cut one of the wires.  

works from 89.5 legacy to 99 legacy.  I have not done it on anything newer but I imagine they use the same system or similar

#3 Nbe1210

Nbe1210

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Dover, NH

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:26 PM

I had a somewhat similar problem with my 97 Leg Brighton. The buzzer would beep randomly while driving. It was maddening. I opened the steering column and cut the black wire coming off of the ignition key sensor. Not the big cluster of ignition wires but the ones coming out of the side of the ignition switch. Problem solved. Hope it helps.

#4 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,091 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:32 AM

You can just unplug the 2 prong connector those wires go through, rather
than cutting.  Accessable by just removeing the lower panel.  No need
to diasmantle the column. Same effect, but easier, and you can reconnect
later to sell the car.

Edited by Gloyale, 18 March 2013 - 11:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users