Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

empi cv axle part # needed

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 epix

epix

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Michigan

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:18 PM

Anyone know the correct part number for an 86 brat front cv axle?

I ordered the 80-5515 and the wheel housing side is slightly too large.

#2 capn_r

capn_r

Pseudo Soob Noob

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Morton WA

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:42 PM

That is the EA81 front axle part number to the best of my knowledge. What is the problem you're having? Is it where the bearings run on the axle that is too big or the inner seal surface?

#3 epix

epix

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Michigan

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:17 PM

That is the EA81 front axle part number to the best of my knowledge. What is the problem you're having? Is it where the bearings run on the axle that is too big or the inner seal surface?

Assuming the EA82 is a different part #?  The bearing inside the wheel hub is too tight for the 80-5515 CV to fit into. Not by much but just enough where it will not insert in.  I retried the stock CV axle and it fits in no issue.

#4 rdweninger

rdweninger

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 454 posts
  • Tillamook, OR

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:34 PM

Count the splines on your old axle, then the new axle.

I believe the turbo axle had 25 splines.

My notes say the non-turbo 23 spline is part # 80-5504

The turbo 25 spline part # is 80-5505

But the spline difference is only on the differential side... so not sure why you're having problems at the wheel side.

#5 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,931 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:39 PM

The ea82 is a different part number but the wheel bearings themselves are the same size if I remember correctly.  The part number for your Brat is 80-5515.  The EMPI parts are being phased out so be aware of that and that getting a replacement may be next to impossible in the future after stock is depleted .  They sold their axle business to another company.  

#6 epix

epix

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Michigan

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:44 PM

Shawn,  So this CV Axle I have (80-5515) should work on my 86 Brat?

It just does not want to fit into the wheel bearing.. 

This 80-5515 has 23 spines on the inner side, 30 spine outside.

edit: does the CV axle need to be pressed onto the wheel bearing housing? I'm just trying to do it by hand.

Edited by epix, 29 April 2013 - 06:53 PM.

#7 djellum

djellum

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 614 posts
  • Vancouver WA

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:06 PM

according to the Service manual the bearings, hub, and cv are supposed to be pressed together then installed as a unit, but most people dont actually do that.  in the old repair manual on this site there was a post with pictures where someone used 2 claw hammers and the axle nut to make a puller to get it through.  Mine went in easy, but I could see it being a pain.  be carefull with the outer bearing, I dont know if they can get crooked from reefing on them, or if that may be your problem.

#8 epix

epix

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Michigan

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:17 PM

Thanks guys, I'll remove the new CV tomorrow along with just the wheel bearing housing and try and get them pressed together.

#9 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,931 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:16 AM

There is a tool that pulls it thru the hub.  I have 2 of them but they essentially thread onto the end of the axle and it pushes against the hub while you pull the threaded end thru.  

Like this but mine doesnt look exactly like their photo.

http://www.summitrac...haft-installers

#10 robm

robm

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 749 posts
  • Terrace, B.C.

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:54 AM

I had an EA82 axle that would not go together.  It would not go into the bearing far enough to get the axle nut on at all.  Pulling it out pulled the inner bearing with it.  I took it back to NAPA, who pulled the bearing off with a press. They had a devil of a time with it. Something was not right with that axle.

What make is the CV joint?  Does/did Empi make them too, or assemble complete shafts using other firm's parts?

#11 epix

epix

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Michigan

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:44 AM

It's a complete brand new assembly from empi. I'm reusing the stock wheel bearing.

#12 epix

epix

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Michigan

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:54 PM

ok had another go at it, and just tapped it a bit with a decent size hammer around the outer edges of the wheel housing and it slipped on :)

#13 rdweninger

rdweninger

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 454 posts
  • Tillamook, OR

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:31 PM

That "decent sized hammer" is usually referred to as a BFH.  Very useful tool !  

I was going to suggest it earlier... but thought I would wait... as it usually is a last resort.   Glad you got it put back together.

#14 BEECHBM69

BEECHBM69

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 153 posts
  • Virginia Beach

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:12 PM

Several threads on the subject, so I'll just put this here.

Ordered a set of EMPI 80-5515 for my hatch. They showed up in the same blue and red box as the last set I got three or four years ago.

One slight variation: The box says "EMPIRE" not "EMPI." (I found the old boxes with my old axles in the attic for comparison.) Part # on the box is correct.

Much to my dismay, the contents are "Surtrack" # 8010. Research says these are Chinese made, but no info on quality. The connecting (middle) shafts are noticeably smaller, but the ends appear to be correct. Two different boot styles on the outside. Insides are the same, though clamped in different spots. I'll fix that before installation.

Just an FYI. I'm going to put these on and reboot my old ones for spares in case these are short lived.

Dan

#15 epix

epix

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Michigan

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:22 PM

I ordered mine via a seller on eBay out of Detroit.  They were EMPI for sure on the units I got.. brand new and appeared to be very good quality.  I've only put about 600 miles on the car since installing them but no issues yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users