Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Possible Drive Train Swap

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 The Dude Abides

The Dude Abides

WileE Coyote Super Genius

• Members
  • 2,978 posts
  • West Des Moines, IA

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:31 AM

So, im toying with the idea of switching my car from 4wd to an AWD drivetrain.  I have got my hands on a 99 subaru impreza with the 2.2.  I was wondering how much of this can i use on my current 88 subaru dl.  I was wanting to swap over the entire thing and i dont remember if anyone has done this before.  

Ben

p.s. i have tried looking it up but havent had much luck.

#2 86BRATMAN

86BRATMAN

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,367 posts
  • Tazewell Virginia

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:35 AM

I know its been covered here a time or two, keywords are your enemy with searching effectively.  But the wiring for the engine will be basically the same as whats covered in the ea-ej swap guides. 

Your 99 is a phase 2 ej22, which limits parts interchange to 99-01 ej22's and phase 2 ej25s. 

Look for an xt6 manual trans crossmember, will make mounting the transmission a breeze. You'll also have to switch over to 25 spline ea82 turbo axles if keeping stock hubs. There will be some custom work to the shifter I can't remember if it needs to be shortened or lengthened right off hand.  The rear diff should be a non-issue, check the codes on the transmission, but it should be a 3.90:1 ratio which means keep your rear diff in place.  Your driveshaft will need to be shortened ~2 inches if memory serves.

I know I'm missing some stuff, wait for Numbchux to chime in, he'll pick up where I've missed or where I'm mistaken

#3 xbeerd

xbeerd

dookin'

• Members
  • 1,023 posts
  • Milwaukee, WI

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:50 AM

i seem to recall 55mm shorter on the driveshaft

#4 The Dude Abides

The Dude Abides

• Members
  • 2,978 posts
  • West Des Moines, IA

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:50 PM

I was going to switch over to the 5 lug as well.  Since i have the whole car.

#5 The Dude Abides

The Dude Abides

• Members
  • 2,978 posts
  • West Des Moines, IA

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:51 PM

On a side note, ive switched from ea82 to ea81 so i figured if i went ej id probally be starting from scratch with the wireing anyways.  Could i retain the entire impreza harness in the loyale.

#6 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,950 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:36 AM

Find a 90-94 legacy wire harness works way better the 99 has to many default codes and will need a ton of imputs to work right but the 99 engine runs fine on 90-94 wire harness exept no idle motor and have to weld up idle motor port on top of intake and drive the plug down to lower part of intake

#7 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,407 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:15 PM

Find a 90-94 legacy wire harness works way better the 99 has to many default codes and will need a ton of imputs to work right but the 99 engine runs fine on 90-94 wire harness exept no idle motor and have to weld up idle motor port on top of intake and drive the plug down to lower part of intake

You can also make a thin plate that bolts on between the throttle body (use the 90-94) and the 99 intake.  This plate can be the block off for the IAC so no welding involved.

THe Dude......your gonna need XT6 rear hubs to switch to 5 lug.  Fronts are easy (i hear) but the rear needs either the XT6 rear hub or a crossbreed kit from AUS.

#8 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,950 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:51 AM

Matt made some realy cool 4 bolt to 5 bolt addaptors worked realy well. Never thought of just a plate good idea that will work to

#9 The Dude Abides

The Dude Abides

• Members
  • 2,978 posts
  • West Des Moines, IA

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:43 PM

Its sad this much work needs to be done to do somewhat simple things.  Ill re evaluate.

#10 86 Wonder Wedge

86 Wonder Wedge

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 374 posts
  • Akron, OH

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:03 PM

Or if you spend enough time, you can grab an EJ carb intake (overseas.. EDM, AUDM, LADM I believe) and just run it "blind" (purely mechanical).. Like people do with LSx swaps into older stuff... they grab a carb intake and just run a Holly or QJet and an ignition controller. The early EJ ECU and harnesses can be stripped down for spark-only duty.

#11 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,571 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:33 PM

you will still need xt6 hubs to 5 lug the rear. the trans should fit using an xt6 mount. driveshaft does need to be shortened. 

what 86BRATMAN posted pretty much sums it up.

make sure you get ea82 turbo manual or 4eat axles since 3at axles are still 23 spline, but 25 spline doj's will swap onto them.

Edited by MilesFox, 17 May 2013 - 09:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users