Jump to content


Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse
 

Photo
- - - - -

Differences compared in EA71 and EA81 suspension


  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

    USMB Drunk

  • Members
  • 6,844 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 17 April 2004 - 04:40 AM

Well I had this marvelous idea of putting EA81 suspension under the front of my wagon the other day. So I got some from Andrew that I could do some test fitting with today and there are a lot of similarities and differences between the two.
Similarities:
Knuckle is very similar, stock EA71 strut bolts into it perfectly, wheel bearings appear to be the same size, axles appear to be the same diameter and spline count (gonna check that tomorrow to be sure)

Differences:
Ball joints mount differently (EA81 mounts the opposite way as the EA71), control arms seem to be waaaaaay different.

So, if I want to make the EA81 suspension work in my wagon, I figure I'm gonna have to modify the EA81 control arms to fit. One of the reasons is because when I was pricing the amount for ball joints, EA71 ball joints were almost 30 bucks a piece where the EA81 ball joints I could get both for the same price as one EA71 ball joint. Tomorrow I am also gonna check to see if the bolts that mounts the control arm to the crossmember is the same and to see if the control arm is the same width as an EA71 control arm. I'm hoping this works pretty easily and it'll be a great suspension upgrade for all of us gen 1 guys:D

Oh and I'm also gonna see about putting the 84-newer vented rotors and calipers on it too:banana:

#2 v8vega215

v8vega215

    USMB Regular

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Portland, OR

Posted 17 April 2004 - 12:45 PM

are you going to do the rear suspension too?

#3 subusolo2nut

subusolo2nut

    USMB is life!

  • Members
  • 175 posts
  • Eagle Point

Posted 17 April 2004 - 02:19 PM

Just dropped you an "E"--I'm in Eagle Point--keep me posted about the parts--maybe I can design some stuff to make it easier--

Dean

#4 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

    USMB Drunk

  • Members
  • 6,844 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 17 April 2004 - 04:36 PM

SAWEET!!! Sounds good. I'm not gonna be swapping the rear suspension, just the front. I am gonna see about converting the rear to disks, using front rotors but thats another story in its own.

#5 v8vega215

v8vega215

    USMB Regular

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Portland, OR

Posted 19 April 2004 - 08:01 PM

i was down at the u-pull-it in damaskis on sunday looking for a brake drum and spindle for my 79 brat and the 80 dl brat there was already stripped so for sh**s and grins i took the backing plate and rotors off of an 87gl10 and bolted them to the brat in the yard, to my suprise they fit, all you have to do is grind a little excess material off of the trailing arm and its a direct swap to rear disc. ( this wont damage structural integrity because you dont need to take that much off.) total parts cost was 40.00 even for both trailing arms off the brat complete with tortion bars and spindles, both calipers. and both rotors off the gl10, and some other misalanios parts, including carb.

I'm giong back next week to see if i can work somthing out for the fronts to get the ventid discs up front.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users