Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ABS Sensor hole & plug?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AdventureSubaru

AdventureSubaru

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 999 posts
  • Scotts Valley, CA

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:27 PM

Rplaced the whole axle/hub assembly on my wifes 2000 Outback as the bearing was fried and pick N pull was having a 1/2 off sale. The ABS sensor was drilled out on the hub and is currently open. I was thinking I would replace the sensor, but no way I'm paying the $150+ that they charge.

So I'm wondering, is that open hole going to allow dust and moisture in and cause trouble? Should I plug it up with JB weld or something? Really not concerned with the ABS. I'm not a fan even when it works.

Edited by AdventureSubaru, 17 June 2013 - 01:28 PM.

#2 Mark Humble

Mark Humble

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Lewiston Ca.

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:37 PM

I would plug it with RTV just to keep things like small rocks out. Water and dust can get in even with the sensor installed.

Mark

#3 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 9,059 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:58 AM

I don't see why it would hurt to just leave it open. There's really nothing to damage, unless its going into the bearing housing. The tone ring is on the axle cup correct?

#4 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,065 posts
  • WV

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:53 AM

doesn't sound like a big deal but it should be easy enough to cover up if you wanted. 

make a metal plate and bolt it over the hole with RTV on the plate, that should seal it up?

or find someone parting one out and have them send you the ABS sensor, they're worthless as they're never sold.  i'd say give me $3 and i'd ship it to you if i had one.

if you don't want ABS just cut the wire off and bolt it in place.

Edited by grossgary, 19 June 2013 - 07:54 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users