Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EA81 rear suspension bind

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Uberoo

Uberoo

Subaru Wheeler

• Members
  • 3,391 posts
  • lewiston,ID

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:20 PM

Recently my rear diff on my EA81 based offroader siezed so I got a new diff and welded it up.In order to fix my axle breakage problem with the EJ22 and T case I made some hybrid rear axles.I used the inner DOJs from a 90-94 legacy on the EA81 axle shaft.So far its proven to be very strong, but due the DOJ cups being a 1/2 inch longer each the rear suspension doesn't have enough flex to install axles anymore,Instead I have to drop the diff to get enough room to put axles on.Anyway Even with the shocks unbolted and the CV axles not installed the rear suspension binds up and wont travel any further downwards.I am wondering what is the cause of that bind and if it could be cured because I would love to be able to drive up a stump or jack the rear end up off the ground to get enough clearance to install axles again.

#2 UraBUS09

UraBUS09

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • AK

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:48 PM

Change back to stock axles and shocks and build yourself some new shock mounts, from the top mounting location, the new mounts should be same height as rest of your lift. You will have to match those mounts to the diff drop height, however your doing that... Keeping all stock components there really is best! Happy wrenching!

#3 Uberoo

Uberoo

Subaru Wheeler

• Members
  • 3,391 posts
  • lewiston,ID

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:21 PM

Why would I want to go back to stock? With the stock rear axles I broke on average of 1.5 axle cups every time I went offroad. In 3 weeks after completing the Tcase swap, still running a SPFI EA81 mind you, I broke 6 axle cups and went through my stockpile of axles almost overnight.Knock on wood but with my hybrid axles I haven't broken a rear axle in over a year and a half with the torque from an EJ22 flowing through the nissan Tcase to the 4.11 diffs spinning 31" tires.

My suspension is binding up on full droop and I'm looking to get a bit more travel.I can't really stuff the tires because even with 8" of lift and some light fender clearancing the tires would rub if I stuffed them hard into the fenders.I am just wondering what is the cause of the downward bind. Idealy I would set the rear suspension to limit travel 1/2" before the CV axles bind up.

My rear shocks currently have 1/2" more extension travel than the rear suspension is capable of articulating,so they are not binding the rear suspension. My shocks came from the back of a 90's ford explorer and are just about perfect for an 8" lift with no "shock lift mounts".They have almost the same specs as the stockers except they are 8" longer, and have 1" more travel.Best of all they can be found in any junkyard in america. :)

#4 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,445 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:53 AM

Will the suspension drop down if you turn the eheels? Do the wheels bind up on the axle when the suspension is binded up?

#5 Uberoo

Uberoo

Subaru Wheeler

• Members
  • 3,391 posts
  • lewiston,ID

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:38 PM

No.I noticed the suspension binding up without the axles or shocks bolted on.

#6 86hatchback

86hatchback

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Portland Oregon

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:24 PM

I've got a theory as to why, since the torsion bar pivot point and the inner arm attachment point are on to different arcs it eventually binds

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users