Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New whine after having trans apart, normal?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Subaru_dude

Subaru_dude

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,469 posts
  • Morristown, TN

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:42 PM

I've had 2 other transmissions apart before this one, a 2wd Impreza trans and a 2wd GL trans, same as this one basically. I had it apart to replace the input shaft seal and after filling it up with fluid, getting the motor in and everything ready to go I fired it up and took it for a ride I noticed it was shifting hard and noticed with my hand on the shifter I could feel a high vibration that wasn't there before. I didn't have this experience with the other 2 transmissions I've had apart, they were pretty smooth afterwards. Do I have anything to worry about? Will the whine eventually go away and the shifting smooth out? I adjusted my clutch cable until it grabs towards the top of the clutch movement so I know for sure it's completely disengaging the clutch. For what it's worth, this is the original thread: http://www.ultimates...hile-its-apart/

Thanks for any input.

#2 Subaru_dude

Subaru_dude

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,469 posts
  • Morristown, TN

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:52 PM

Thought this might be important... the passenger side axle pin wouldn't go in so I really pounded on it and only got it halfway through. The hammer was literally just bouncing off the pin. Could that damage the roller bearings in the front diff??

BUMP

#3 Kroaker23

Kroaker23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • missoula montana

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:07 PM

tap the pin out and rotate the shaft 180 degrees to see if it lines up better. I just got done with 2 new front axles , there is a slight difference in thread count between each hemisphere that the pin holes divide.  I would double check that. might as well put new pins in while your down there if the originals are mushroomed in the slightest from hammering them. I dont know if it would damage bearings but I would think you would need to be near thor strength to break or bend the bearings

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users