Ultimate Subaru Message Board

input shaft seal '84 DL. What else while it's apart?

The trans is in good shape and from what I can tell, that's the only place it seems to be leaking. What else leaks on these transmissions? This is a 2wd 5spd. And also, could the leaky input shaft cause the clutch to slip? My clutch slips mostly in higher gear on the highway when I'm RUNNING FAIRLY HIGH RPMS... which is what makes me think the clutch is getting grease slung all over it. Anybody else run into this? Theoretically it makes sense to me.

Also, could the axles being bad cause the engine to sorda "lope" along at low speeds? Feels almost like it has a wobble in first, sometimes second gear. Doesn't happen in any of the higher gears, nor when I'm just revving it.

Input shaft seal could be leaking enough to cause your clutch to start to slip.  Could also be the bolts holding your flywheel on.  If you (or whoever did the clutch last) didnt give those a coat of Permatex #2 when they put them in they might be seeping engine oil.  Only way to know would be to pull it apart and find out.  Rear main of the engine could be leaking as well but that would really just drip to the ground unless its really leaking and that you would know about.  

You may just find when you get in there that your clutch is just toast and you need a new one.  I had a 2wd 5 speed with almost 150k on it and it was bone dry at the input shaft seal area.  They are pretty tough little transmissions.  

Edited by hatchsub

The clutch is new so I'm ASSUMING it's not because of that. And could you elaborate on the bolts holding the flywheel not having Permatex #2 on them would cause an oil leak? As far as I can tell, the only thing on the back of the motor that can leak oil is the rear main. And the first time the motor was out of the car the input shaft seal was dry but it started leaking immediately after. I guess pulling the engine and moving that input shaft around reamed the seal a little.

Okay just got the seal and it does seem to be the right diameter and fits over the shaft, BUT it's thinner. Doesn't seem to be a problem really but has anybody else had experience with these seals? And it does seem that it was leaking at the flywheel bolts so I will definitely make sure to seal those up.