Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can I build a buggy under 1,000 lbs?

ThumbShyShane

One of my favorite places is on the far side of a "critical habitat area" which has a restriction limiting recreational vehicles to 1,000 lbs. Any idea if that is remotely achievable? I'd like wide tires and some kind of fenders, but I'm willing to have it be stripped down to pretty much a frame and seats.

I would say 1000 lbs is doable ,but you will have to build your own "frame",you can't build one off an existing car though.

A EA81 or EA82 vehicle should be able to provide everything you need.I would choose a EA81 because its more reliable.Measure everything relating to where the front and rear suspension mount.put the engine+crossmember+suspension assembly where you want it in the front and put the rear suspension where you want it in the rear.I would aim for a wheelbase 80-93".More or less put the rear tires right behind the front seats and have the fuel tank centered over the rear axle.Then build some sorta frame to connect everything and don't forget a roll bar/cage.Use aluminum floorboards,and use some plastic garden edging to cover the tires just so they wont pelt you with stuff,the rear 1/2 of the front tires and the front half of the rear tires..

that should keep you right around 1000LBs,run 27-29" tires because the bigger tires add weight.

I just scraped a hatch with no engine,rear suspension, or fuel tank it weighed 1600lbs.I also had a bunch of stuff inside the car like the steel bits from an EJ22,it also had all the glass.

Edited by Uberoo

Hate to say it but I don't think that's realistic with subaru drivetrain

Engine, trans, diff, and wheels/tires weigh about 600lbs.  Not to mention axles, seats, a frame......and of course the driver.

If it is possible it would definately have to be a VERY lightweight tube frame with no glass, doors.

Hate to say it but I don't think that's realistic with subaru drivetrain

Engine, trans, diff, and wheels/tires weigh about 600lbs.  Not to mention axles, seats, a frame......and of course the driver.

If it is possible it would definately have to be a VERY lightweight tube frame with no glass, doors.

is that the good estimate 600#  , wonder what the complete stock drivetrain weighs,

A few other tidbits to think about.

Hatches and Coupes will be lighter than the sedans and wagons.

Aluminum rims vs. steel will give a small assist in that lightweight category. As will narrower tires.

Tube frame and/or lots of chopping. I think the hatches had a stock weight of just over a ton. That's a lot of deleting and not much room to beef things up for off roading. (Spare tire, parts etc.)

I think that 600 estimate has to be close.

Anyone with a subaru buggy ever put one on a scale?

ea81's weight like 350 pounds(trust me you dont want to pick it up year self), transmission's are around 150, so just there is half the buggies wieght, then theres the rear differential, axels, hubs, suspension, wheels, tires, the frame, gas tank plus fuel, ect. and you. If your going to make it under a 1/2 ton your going to have to be creative and cut down every way you can and use a lot of lite durable materials.

Im building one right now to my best guess is im going to be 900-1100 lb my frame is only about 150 lb. I could probly save wieght buy spending more money but im trying to keep the price under 500$

if you built your own suspension and i think legacy would be easyer than ea82

post-47875-0-57656600-1379580032_thumb.jpg

Edited by apintonut

ea81's weight like 350 pounds(trust me you dont want to pick it up year self),

I can easily carry an EA81 around... they are about 100-150 lbs, depending on what (flywheel/clutch, accessories) is still on it.  EA82s weigh a bit more, mostly due to their extra camshaft and parts. 

EJ's are beefier and weigh a little too much for me to carry around. 

ea81's weight like 350 pounds(trust me you dont want to pick it up year self), transmission's are around 150, so just there is half the buggies wieght, then theres the rear differential, axels, hubs, suspension, wheels, tires, the frame, gas tank plus fuel, ect. and you. If your going to make it under a 1/2 ton your going to have to be creative and cut down every way you can and use a lot of lite durable materials.

EA81 is 135lbs. EA82 is 155. EJ18 is 170 and EJ22 is 185. I carry EA81s no problem. A little awkward to hold onto but they are very light engines.

The trans I'd guess to be about 2/3 the engine.

I think if you went with an EA81 platform you could make this happen.

• Like 1

I can easily carry an EA81 around... they are about 100-150 lbs, depending on what (flywheel/clutch, accessories) is still on it.  EA82s weigh a bit more, mostly due to their extra camshaft and parts. 

EJ's are beefier and weigh a little too much for me to carry around. 

I over estmated it because it was late but factory subaru manual says 238 pounds and that is standard so just with a alternator so it doesn't include the weight of power steering and ac condensor and all the other stuff i was thinking of when giving probably what you would call a max weight of a ea81 :lol: i quess im spoiled to be working with the ea81t motors and was thinking more of along those lines instead of a ea81 but aleast you can find good heads for a ea81. It just makes me want to stay with the ea81 in my brat with hopefully a weber carb sometime and keep on rolling.