Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my current daily driver - 1990 Legacy LS, AWD - has another wheel bearing going out - i think it is left rear this time (had one rear replaced a few years ago, but think that was the right one). even a slight shift in body weight to the left side is producing a pretty serious grinding sound.

the 95 Legacy that will eventually be replacing this one is no where near ready - still have to go get a tranny for it (supposed to happen this coming saturday) and get that installed - go over the motor while it is out for the tranny swap, and do the forester strut swap...all with very limited time for working on it - work during the day, and school 4 nights a week...

and to top it all off, hit a darn deer on the way home from class tonight - took out the passenger side mirror, and left a pretty good dent in the front fender.

my dilemma - do i spend the money to get a new wheel bearing installed, knowing that this car is not going to be around a whole lot longer...

or, spend the money on the other car, getting the tranny installed (and get the separator plate resealed while they are separated), then deal with the rest myself...

or - do I get a used hub and hope for the best?

on the last option - what years would be compatible?

Edited by heartless

i may need to be driving this car all winter with the scehdules as they are - and I know they do tend to go a long time - the one I did finally get replaced I drove on for more than a year with it making mild noise - but this one seems to have gone a lot faster - it was pretty quite still last week, now this week it is quite noisy...will have to get it jacked up & check for play.

there are a bunch of used hubs listed on car-parts.com in my area for around $40-50 - but the year ranges are all over the place - that is why I asked about compatibility

punched in 1990 and I am getting results for 2000, 1998, 2002, etc - are these really all compatible?

yeah, it does suck, but there you have it...the 95 is no where near ready & time is very precious right now. Pretty much a done deal on getting this one fixed. the same shop that did the wheel bearing last time is going to do it again - they can get it in on Monday. in the mean time, it sits until I can get it over to the shop, probably Sunday. Seriously considering trailering it over there...

As it turns out, it is the same bearing I had done in July 2010 - only a couple of months out of the 3 yr warranty on the bearing - about par for the course in my world... :banghead: