Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi everyone,

I was hoping to get your expert opinion concerning an engine I've recently purchased.  It's a JDM engine, so I don't have a VIN, which makes buying parts a bit more difficult.  It seems strange to me that there wouldn't be some identifier on the engine for this purpose, but what do I know lol.

I am planning on putting the engine in a non Subaru vehicle, so I'm in need of an ECU and wiring loom.  I'd also like to do some maintenance on the engine, so I'm hoping to gain enough information to be able to order parts.  Please be patient with me, I don't have much experience with engines in general. 

Here is the info the seller provided to me.  1994 to 1998 Legacy, Impreza, Forester SOHC EJ22.  I'm sure the photos will tell you more than I can. 

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!

post-49705-0-83972000-1380926413_thumb.jpgpost-49705-0-94792300-1380926417_thumb.jpgpost-49705-0-88831500-1380926421_thumb.jpgpost-49705-0-60307800-1380926425_thumb.jpgpost-49705-0-03721900-1380926429_thumb.jpgpost-49705-0-53309400-1380926432_thumb.jpgpost-49705-0-30474500-1380926436_thumb.jpg

Hey Miles, thanks for responding!  I'll start doing some research regarding which vehicles had the MAF, and go from there.  As for second gen, was that from 1994 to 2000 in the US?  Do you know of any EJ22E specific literature?  I bought a Chilton manual but it's not really engine specific, but I guess it's adequate if need be.

Thanks again!  

i second Miles' call on that one - looks just like the engine in my 95 Legacy.

One thing you will definitely want to replace is that plastic plate on the rear - oil separator plate - you want to go metal with that, and the metal one will require different screws.

The chiltons book is in general. The ej22e was used in 90-96 legacy first and second gen. you can group them by 3 categories based on wiring harness and such. you would have the 90-91, then 92-94, same engine, different plug on the engine harness, both obd1.

The 95-96 is obd2 (2nd gen) used the same engine with dual port exhaust. The heads changed to a roller rocker cam in the 2nd gen. There were changes fom late 96 and in 97 with internals regarding the piston skirts, and the heads went to a single port design, the engine became an interference design, but uses the same engine harness thru 99, and also with the ej25d DOHC which you will find in 97 outback, 98 forester, and 97(96?) legacy GT. The impreza shares the same engine thru 2000, the forester thru 99, but the 96.5 engines wer single port design. The ej25d shares the same dual exhaust port.

In regards to literature specific to your engine, you want a service book that covers 90-99 legacy and impreza, covering 95-99 specifically for the wiring diagrams and engine electrical components.

Clutches and flywheels all interchange with any ej engine, so any info regarding bellhousings and clutches to install in your particular non-subaru would apply to any ej series engine

Man, you guys are awesome!  Thanks for the link Fair, I really appreciate the help! So there is a VIN on the engine?  I've heard they didn't put VINs on them.  I did find a number, but it didn't look like a VIN, too many characters.  Let me know where to look and I'll try to get a photo. 

Looks like a 95 EJ22. Only OBD2 year with dual port heads (at least in the US).

Download the FSM for 95 here: http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/subaru_manual_scans/

That will have any info you need.

I can see the VIN plate in the pics but I don't see anything on it!

He did mention it was a JDM engine...

Not sure about the JDM market, but the US 95 EJ22 has EGR - upon further review that engine appears to not have EGR...

with the plastic oil separtor plate, we know it isnt a 1st gen (90-94) - those had the cast alloy plates. I still suspect 95, even without the EGR system...

and, you're welcome, BlueHawk ;)

Good morning guys,

Yes, it's JDM :( .  Lesson learned there I think, lol.  I think I'll get it all sorted out with your help though.  I'll have a look and see if I can spot the EGR, a google search kinda told me what it looks like, and where it should be. 

Have a good weekend! 

You could source an engine harness from a 97 or so that had the single port exhaust and no egr. It will plug and play and you scould avoid an egr code. There is a way of using resistors to fool the ECU to believing there is an EGR solenoid present. This really only matters if you need to pass emissions, and your stripped down engine harness retains an check engine lite

Happy Sunday everyone,

I'm glad it's obvious to you guys lol. I looked though, and didn't see it.  So now that you've established what the engine is for me (thanks!), can you recommend anything I should replace, or service before I install it in the car?  I was planning on replacing the head gaskets, coolant pump, spark plugs, and timing belt.  Also, planning on cleaning the idle air control valve.  Heartless, you mentioned the oil separator plate, would the metal one be after market?  Also in the service manual I've noticed they refer to a lot of special tools (ST), like the crankshaft pulley wrench for example.  How special are they, should I start looking to buy some of them? 

Would you like me to refer these questions to another area of the forum? 

Enjoy your Sunday, Thanks!

Go Hawks! :D

You could source an engine harness from a 97 or so that had the single port exhaust and no egr. It will plug and play and you scould avoid an egr code. There is a way of using resistors to fool the ECU to believing there is an EGR solenoid present. This really only matters if you need to pass emissions, and your stripped down engine harness retains an check engine lite

In the original post, the guy says he plans to install the motor into a non subaru vehicle. I am guessing it must be some off road vehicle So, I don't think he is concerned about a check engine light or passing emissions test.

Thanks Miles, you read my mind.  I was just wondering about the harness, and hoping it won't be too hard to find.  Luckily on my side of the state we don't have to pass emission standards (yet).  So, just to make sure I have it straight, I'm looking for an ECU from any second gen legacy with a MAF, and preferably a harness from a 97 with no egr?  And if I have to, I can either deal with the code produced due to a lack of egr, or fool it with resistors?  I apologize for my lack of knowledge here, but I'll get it eventually lol.

In the original post, the guy says he plans to install the motor into a non subaru vehicle. I am guessing it must be some off road vehicle So, I don't think he is concerned about a check engine light or passing emissions test.

Hi Rooster,

Actually it's going in a 1973 VW bug.  I'm hoping to make a reliable, fun to drive street car.  I'd like to retain any useful diagnostic info the computer provides, if it's not going to be too much of a pain.

All you really need is the ECU and the body side harness from a 1995 -1997 manual trans Legacy. Automatics tend to have EGR and he associated wiring, manual trans does not. You already have the engine harness you need.

The body harness will plug right into the three main plugs on the bellhousing.

That engine almost never has trouble with head gaskets. I wouldn't bother wih them unless you really want to, but they are really easy to do.

The big ones are going to be front end seals (cam and crank) oil pump o ring, the cam plug orings (front drivers side, rear passenger side), and the valve cover gaskets. And get a full timing kit, (water pump, idlers, belt).

I would not bother with HG if the compression checks out. This engine uses the composite gaskets and is known to go well over 200,ooo and 300,000 mi on the original gaskets. All of the head bolts are exposed outside of the valve cover, so it is possible to do a re-torque (following procedure) if you feel it is necessary.

Do replace all the timing belt idlers and a good quality water pump and oem only thermostat. Do the cam seals and front crank as preventative measuer, and remove the oil pump and loc-tite the screws on the back side of the rotor housing.

Replace the oil separator baffle plate behind the flywheel with the updated metal one to prevent leaks.

I will be salvaging a complete harness form a 95 legacy with AT and EGR. I may or may not keep it for a future project, but then again i would be willing to sell it if i never plan to use it, and if say you cannot source one right away. I still have yet to pull it form the donor.

All I can say is thanks guys, ask and you shall receive! Lol.

Thanks for the offer Miles. I'd be interested in the harness if you decide not to use it. I have lots of work to do before I need it, so I'm in no rush. In the mean time, if I come across one I'll let you know.

I did some looking around on ebay this morning, looks like it won't be too hard to find an ecu. That is, if I can find a trustworthy seller.

As for engine parts, does anyone know of a good place to order from? Im sure it won't be hard to get parts, but I'm willing to give my business to someone thats earned a good reputation.

a complete timing service is in order for an engine with unknown history.

all idler pulleys, oil seals, tensioner, water pump & t-stat, and belt

good timing kits can be found on ebay (sorry, cant think of the reliable seller names right now) and someone posted one from amazon not too long ago that was a gates kit.

there are several online sources for parts - rockauto.com & genuinesubaruparts.com (an online dealer) are two that come to mind right off (and that I have bookmarked)

I know there are several others that are reasonable as well

might try car-part.com for the ecu - see if you can find something locally - you can sort by area, distance from you, etc

Thanks heartless I appreciate it. I always get a bit nervous buying stuff off the net, especially ebay. After looking through the service manual, the timing service doesn't seem too bad. It should be a lot easier too, with the engine on a stand.

Let me know Miles, I'm interested for sure. Like I said though it'll be some time before I need it.

Ill keep you all posted on the project, if anyone is interested.

I've got to thank Josh for the help, and for steering me to this forum! You've all been a great help.

on the oil separator plate - there is an aftermarket one available - I found it recently, but none of us have been brave enough to try it yet - LOL

because of access issues, probably best to get the plate, and the required screws, direct from a dealer...

check this thread: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/140226-new-addition-with-some-issues/

towards the bottom of page one and into page two there is discussion about the plate, a couple of links to online parts sources, etc.

For the ebay timing kit sellers - I have had pretty good luck with Mizumo Auto - have installed several of their kits on 1st gen Legacys, Including my current daily driver - with no problems.

Another reliable source is "the import experts"

I've got to thank Josh for the help, and for steering me to this forum! You've all been a great help.

Thats what we are here for - to help each other. :)