Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi,

How much longevity do most aftermarket axles have these days?  My dealer put in a pair of replacement front axles (FEQ, I believe) and now only after 12,000 miles they are starting to click and give me nightmares.  The inner race 'cup' is really loose and probably ready to just get torn off...  :-(

Can anyone recommend a good brand?  I know that FEQ (which probably really stands for 'Worst Equipment Quality') is Chinese.   I have heard EMPI is a better alternative. 

Are there really major differences between manufacturers?

Thanks!

--Damien

aftermarkets fail at completely random mileages and in all sorts of different ways.  i've seen them blow to pieces at mile number 1.  the best option is to never use aftermarket axles.  you can google it or search any subaru forum and read for weeks about aftermarket axle issues.  EMPI's had good reviews but folks have posted failures of those too.

get used Subaru OEM axle and reboot it and you're done for 100,000+ miles.  i do this *all the time*, it's so simple.

www.car-part.com

if you need a 99 or earlier legacy/outback/impreza/forester axle i could ship you two without boots you can reboot them yourself if you can't find them locally and shipping isnt' brutal.

you can use later 2001+ axles on earlier vehicles if you knock the tone ring off the end - they have better outer boots with more convolutions that last a long time too.  if you can get one in good shape you don't need to replace the outer boot - it's likely to last a long time.

MWE (now FW enterprises or somethign - he changed the name) - just more effort and cost, return cores. 

One thing to consider with axle failure is that since we drive on the right side of the road, most right turns are much sharper than left turns when moving thru intersections in city driving, where the right axle seels more sharp angle than the left more often.

One thing to consider with axle failure is that since we drive on the right side of the road, most right turns are much sharper than left turns when moving thru intersections in city driving, where the right axle seels more sharp angle than the left more often.

Yeah, I was actually thinking about that today as I was cruising down the highway.  I feel like I'm driving a motorcycle!

Well...It seems ok now.  It's clunky...but it goes.  :-/

Thanks for the advice...

D

reviews/comments online are scarce, they look/sound like a new/unknown product, i wouldn't consider them an option.

rebooting used Subaru OEM axles isn't an option?

they will have lower success rate than OEM, but if it's a 60% then it's still a 6 out of 10 chance of not having any issues, which is a pretty good. that's why you'll see people say "ah these were good axles".  but if you are doing enough axle work you'll get really tired of redoing 4 out of 10 axles.

if you're okay doing the job multiple times then they're a good fit.  warranty isn't an indicator of quality, some lifetime warranty parts are very low grade and often inexpensive.  the offroad communities love submerging their alternators and starters in mud and just exchanging them forever. LOL

Well it's a 'used car dealer' as opposed to a 'new car dealer'.  Most folks around here can't afford NCD so there are UCD for us instead.

The inner race isn't green...but I know for sure it's FEQ.

Uninterested?? I usually get a 'slap on the wrist' for even thinking that I'm going to steal someone else's job as a mechanic!  :-)

Cheers!

--Damien

adventuresubaru has a good point - maybe your dealer knows how often those axles fail, if they're under warranty or worth getting a new pair installed?

Well it's a 'used car dealer' ................. it's FEQ.

--Damien

copy, i thought you meant Subaru.

I usually get a 'slap on the wrist' for even thinking that I'm going to steal someone else's job as a mechanic!  :-)

--Damien

ha ha!  i fix cars for free for college students and help find mechanics/advice as needed.  mechanics here welcome parts if the reasoning is a better repair option or they don't have to source some obscure part. when people start trying to save a buck here and there and complaining at results...that's when eyes roll.  if they charge more labor for the boot install and you get a cheaper axle it may be roughly even on both sides financially.

Uninterested?? I usually get a 'slap on the wrist' for even thinking that I'm going to steal someone else's job as a mechanic!  :-)

glad you got a good dealer to work with, that's a commodity.

i wouldn't like the odds either. if you end up replacing with something else, could swap them under warranty to keep as back ups, give away, sell, donate back to the shop since you like them .

"free" - don't accept money to work on cars. I diagnose, they buy the parts (or the car if helping them get a car), I do the work. i have never charged for a repair, as a rule I avoid it.