Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need to fix or replace 97 legacy hood

The kid was driving to a job interview, managed to get caught up in a minor hood bender. The Sonata in front of him needed a new bumper cover. The hood got "curled down" in the center, and two small lifts on the outside edges. We straightened the middle support in front of the radiator, luckily it did not hit the radiator.

If I want to replace the mica ruby (947 code) hood what years could I be looking for in the pic your own yards?

Thanks

Any Legacy or Legacy Outback from 1995-1999 will bolt right in. The only difference you'll find is the hood scoop option for GTs and some Outbacks. Otherwise identical. That was a common color, so you might find your match in a yard.

In your area I'd be going here. http://www.joesusedautoparts.com/EZPull.html

Used to live out in that area. Hands down the cheapest/biggest yard to go to.

www.car-part.com will have local inventories. You'll pay more than a self service auto yard, but they should be able to tell you the color ahead of time.

Edited by AdventureSubaru

If you can't find a hood in the color you want, but CAN find a clean, dentless hood for cheap, you can buy exact matching color aeresol base paint online (pricey, about $20 a can but it's the correct color) and the same place sells a clear for it too. If done right, it'll look near as good as what's on there. Otherwise try a cheap Maaco but they're likely to put wrong shade down.

Here's the color codes for a site I like (I have 95' listed but the mica red is there too):

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/touch-up-paint/subaru/1995/legacy/

Here's the actual paint:

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/spray_paint.asp

I've seen others do entire bumpers, grills, hoods, etc. and I honestly couldn't tell the difference once the clear was applied. The site I linked to also has How-To videos for each product. I'll be ordering Amethyst Metallic (weird color) to redo some sections on mine and possibly a new hatch as I doubt I'll find one this color in a yard anywhere. As long as the base goes down perfect, it's just a matter of getting the clear on correctly and buffing (depends on clear I think if buffing is warranted I'm not a paint guy) 

Edited by Bushwick

the site linked above for paint is awesome - they even had the correct color paint to match my old 1967 F250 - A perfect match!

Yes, it is a little pricey, BUT - it is correct automotive paint that will age/wear just like the factory paint when applied correctly, and the color will be correct.

and there are several options for purchasing, depending on your needs...

touchup sizes (pens and small bottles)

12 oz aerosol cans

quarts

gallons