Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cant Figure Out Trouble Codes

87 GL-10. Turbo, Auto Wagon.

OK so I did THe Head Gaskets on both sides. Got it to start yesterday, sounded shitty but nothing too bad, just letting it idle and work itself out. shut it off and then tried to start it again and the starter will turn but engine wont start. First thing i did is go for the trouble codes and its putting out 3 short flashes. I didnt know it even had single digit codes and i cannot find what it is. any ideas?

When you say engine temp sensor the only part i can think of is the ECT which i think is attached to my thermostat housing.

I appreciate the help by the way. and i wanted to add the car didnt run long enough to really get up to temp. 5 minutes tops and i tried turning it over again earlier and it did not work. Starter turns with no fire. I mean to me it sounds like no spark but it had just started so i ruled that out. And i can smell a little gas so its pumping fuel in.

The ECTS is the one with the brown plug on the back of the intake near the turbo. Remove the '4wd turbo' plenum for access. Check the timing belts as one may have jumped the tensioner. Troubles i ahve had with these is the car runs great on startup, and then runs crappy once at temp, and then wont want to start from hot until it has sat and cooled off.

Also check the rotor in the disty and see if the set screw fell out

If it was an 86 gl-10 turbo, it could have been any number of things to cause it to suddenly not start when warm.

1. Distributor electronics just gave up the ghost

2. Black fusible link wire just broke through completely

3. Ignition switch on steering column finally went out

4. Capacitor wired to coil just went out

5. Hot wire to alternator just broke from being overheated

6. Driver side timing belt broke

7. Disconnected hose from camtower cover

8. Fuel pump just went out

Obviously, narrowing the problem down to either fuel or the electrical spark, will cut your work down. You could pull a plug while keeping the plug wire on, then hold the tip in contact with the engine metal to ground it. Then have someone else attempt to start the engine, while you look for a spark. No spark = electrical problem. Since your starter turns, then it would not be item 2.