Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Cant Figure Out Trouble Codes

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mandalore4411

mandalore4411

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Oregon

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:45 PM

87 GL-10. Turbo, Auto Wagon.

OK so I did THe Head Gaskets on both sides. Got it to start yesterday, sounded shitty but nothing too bad, just letting it idle and work itself out. shut it off and then tried to start it again and the starter will turn but engine wont start. First thing i did is go for the trouble codes and its putting out 3 short flashes. I didnt know it even had single digit codes and i cannot find what it is. any ideas?

#2 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,567 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:14 PM

1. a single digit code is an identity code

2. if the car did not start from a warm start, replace the engine temp sensor

#3 john in KY

john in KY

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  • KY

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:02 PM

I'd first check for spark. 

#4 mandalore4411

mandalore4411

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Oregon

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:26 AM

When you say engine temp sensor the only part i can think of is the ECT which i think is attached to my thermostat housing.

I appreciate the help by the way. and i wanted to add the car didnt run long enough to really get up to temp. 5 minutes tops and i tried turning it over again earlier and it did not work. Starter turns with no fire. I mean to me it sounds like no spark but it had just started so i ruled that out. And i can smell a little gas so its pumping fuel in.

#5 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,567 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:42 AM

The ECTS is the one with the brown plug on the back of the intake near the turbo. Remove the '4wd turbo' plenum for access. Check the timing belts as one may have jumped the tensioner. Troubles i ahve had with these is the car runs great on startup, and then runs crappy once at temp, and then wont want to start from hot until it has sat and cooled off.

Also check the rotor in the disty and see if the set screw fell out

#6 scoobiedubie

scoobiedubie

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 473 posts
  • Aloha, Oregon

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:22 AM

If it was an 86 gl-10 turbo, it could have been any number of things to cause it to suddenly not start when warm.
1. Distributor electronics just gave up the ghost
2. Black fusible link wire just broke through completely
3. Ignition switch on steering column finally went out
4. Capacitor wired to coil just went out
5. Hot wire to alternator just broke from being overheated
6. Driver side timing belt broke
7. Disconnected hose from camtower cover
8. Fuel pump just went out

Obviously, narrowing the problem down to either fuel or the electrical spark, will cut your work down. You could pull a plug while keeping the plug wire on, then hold the tip in contact with the engine metal to ground it. Then have someone else attempt to start the engine, while you look for a spark. No spark = electrical problem. Since your starter turns, then it would not be item 2.

#7 mandalore4411

mandalore4411

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Oregon

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:16 PM

hey it started this morning. The car Started then threw a code 21(temp sensor) and after a minute or two no more code or CEL. worked itself out. 

Hey Thanks A Lot. I didnt have to do anything it turns out but you were right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users