Ultimate Subaru Message Board

AAV/IACV questions

On my ea82t, I'm currently on the hunt for an auxiliary air valve/idle air control valve. I'm finding that the ea82t and regular ea82 units are different, and all I can find for new units are for a ea82. Has anyone used a different AAV on there ea82t? I'm assuming that these all work the same: spring loaded to keep it open, heated coil slowly shuts it as its heated by 12v and engine temp.

I ended up grabbing an auxiliary air valve from a buddy that's meant for a CIS fuel injected vw rabbit. It's a Bosch unit and is used in many many European cars from the 80's. I linked a picture of what it looks like.

Hooked it up in place of the unit on top of the thermostat housing, and it seems to work great. Cold it's open, and after it gets 12v the bimetal strip slowly shuts it and the idle drops. The wire plugs in, no need to rewire. I tested the lead and it gets 12v until the CTS tells it that the car is warmed up, then engine heat will control the opening. The engine definitely starts nicer and idles better, but its not perfect. I'm still on fuel that's over a year old and the I haven't gotten everything I need for a full tune up. I'll keep you guys posted on how it pans out.

post-32714-0-17764000-1382556444_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

This is still working great for me. These valves are pretty easy to get new and rather inexpensive. The Bosch units are pricy but python makes a cheap one, just make sure your searching for an older air cooled vw. They jack the price when it's listed for a BMW, Saab, ect. Even though they're all the same parts.

http://www.partstrain.com/store/details/Volkswagen/Super_Beetle/Python/Auxiliary_Air_Valve/1975/PYT342902.html?source=productads

In concept they all work the same, so I can't see why this inexpensive one wouldn't work for all cars that use idle up valves. You just have to make sure to mount it to the engine. Once the the cts tells the ecu that the car is warmed up, it won't send 12v to the valve. It will use engine heat to operate the valve so it needs to be mounted directly to the engine.