Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Timing Advice Needed

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mandalore4411

mandalore4411

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Oregon

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:37 PM

im looking for advice on timing my 87 gl-10 turbo wagon auto.

I took it apart to replace cracked heads on both sides, and it ran perfectly as far as timing goes. Before I took it apart i noticed it wasn't timed exactly right so i marked everything with a paint pen and I put it back together according to my paint marks. I did it in a way that i never had to remove my distributor from the cam tower and the camshafts never had to come out. So there isn't a whole lot of ways i could have messed it up.

It runs rough with a sputter and knocking. In park it almost runs normal at idle and revved up over 2k it sounds to be running perfect. butttttt.... when u shift into gear it really has a hard time and cannot really get up to speed. 
any ideas maybe there is something im not looking at or maybe i should correct the timing?

by not timed right i mainly mean the flywheel marks. both cams appear to be right on the money and the ditsy is as it was before taking it apart but the flywheel mark is off by about 1 inch. um my paint mark is 1 inch to the driver side and the flywheel marks are to the pass side.

#2 john in KY

john in KY

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  • KY

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:06 PM

Use the middle of the 3 marks (III) on the flywheel. One cam straight up and the other straight down. 

#3 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,611 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:38 PM

google search the term 'ea82 timing belt' and your answer will bei nt he first results

#4 mandalore4411

mandalore4411

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Oregon

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:11 PM

i know how to do the timing belt. but when i took it apart it was running good right where it is.

#5 scoobiedubie

scoobiedubie

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 476 posts
  • Aloha, Oregon

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:15 AM

The 86 GL-10 automatic is 25 degrees BTDC @ 800 rpm.  I set mine at 26 degrees.  The only difference between the MT and the AT, is the rpm that you set it at.  Except the timing does not vary on mine, at that low of rpm.   You would want to clean the corrosion off of the points in the inside top of the distributor cap, before you set the timing.  

#6 mandalore4411

mandalore4411

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Oregon

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:00 PM

eh timing is right now but the car still isnt. ill have to keep lookin.

#7 ruparts

ruparts

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 563 posts
  • hooper, co

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:17 PM

hi,

did you have the diagnostic connectors plugged together to check and set the timing,,  and do you have them disconnected now so the ignition advance will work ?

#8 scoobiedubie

scoobiedubie

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 476 posts
  • Aloha, Oregon

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:44 PM

Running rough after reassembly when you did not screw up the timing belts, is possibly the spark plug wires have been interchanged between #1 & #3, or between #2 and #4 cylinder.

#9 mandalore4411

mandalore4411

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Oregon

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:54 AM

ruparts- i never took the ditsy off the cam so it should be as it was if i am correct i didnt need to use the connectors

scoobiedubie- maybe i did mess up something simple like that. i will check plug wires 2marro,

hey thanks alot for giving my problems the look over guys i appreciate it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users