Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need Distributor for 1983 Gl-10 Wagon

Hello Gang..well my daughters wagon needs a new dist.You can feel the grinding when you feel it while its running...So i called Napa,A.Z. and O'nellys...All Gone !! So i looked on e Bay.They had more than a few. 31-810 was the cheaper one $130.00 to $185.00.It didn't show the power plug in,I'm guessing that its a male/female set up.mine has the eye holes to "bolt it on" so to speak, Then 31-318 showed pictures of  the eye holes but they were way more $$.. So as i remember the 2 are the same as far as far as both will fit,the hook up is the only thing different...right?? I also remember some guys changed the 4wd dist to the 2wd distributor hopeing to get mere power...right??? Anyway the million dollor question is ........ Can i use the cheaper 2wd dist 31-810 instead of the 31-812 ?? Thanks again,Todd(the old sub freak)post-34764-0-70354200-1384211089_thumb.jpgpost-34764-0-78268600-1384211157_thumb.jpg

Well i was hopeing someone would have comformed what i have been taught about Gen 2 distributors..That is the 2 wd and the 4wd are different brands but are interchangable. Also i have heard that the 4wd dist were the better made of the two,but the 2wd had more pep??...And i found lots of them on E Bay,anywhere from $135.00 to $450.00 !!! for the same part.. So i'm going for the 4x4 dist for $198.00 w/ free dilevery. They also have just the bushing for $25 bucks.Thats whats wrong with my rig but may as well "Go to town" and get a re-man... ..

I think you can since i played around with some of my distribuators and all of them are the same length/gearing ea71 points/electonic , ea81, and ea81t(ea81t is different though since it has 4 wires instead of 2 like a nonturbo to control spark from the ecm and more expensive and harder to find when i looked there was only one that napa or carquest could get that was left in the country that would cost over $600). The ea82 works also if you put the bottom gear off the ea81 you got and drill a new whole but i forget if they make a ea82 distribuator with 2 wires or not since i haven't torn into a carbed one in a while.

Thanks for the info.. if It was my runner i'd probley use a e82 as i have a few of those around and can change them in a heart beat. But being its my girls car..I'll go with the Re-Man from uckatan....the e81's distributors are lookin sparce now.I always have had one with me in my brat or wagon as they can go out at any time and its a fast fix. So once i get my daughters rig up n running i will be lookin for a extra or 2. Her dist needs a bushing, may replace that but for all the work of opening it up i should replace all I can.. Are they a hard fix?