Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Starts, runs rough, no power

Hi, I have an 88 Subaru GL with 1.8, 2-bl carb, automatic, no turbo. The car starts and will idle, but dies at about 2000 rpm, or when it is put into gear to drive. When I give it gas, the choke closes and it stalls. If I hold the choke open, it will start, but won't rev over 2000 rpm and dies under load. It acts like it is starved for fuel. Any suggestions on what to check? Thanks in advance.

First thing to check is the fuel filter. If that's good, and I suspect it is from your description of the problem, then your carb's primary circuit is plugged and someone adjusted the choke to reduce air flow to compensate for the lean condition. You'll need to adjust it so it doesn't close under acceleration. If you are not bold enough or have the tools to tear it apart, there's a quick fix I've used on a number of occasions that works most of the time. Unplug the fuel pump and clamp of the fuel supply hose at the carb. Remove the air cleaner and look into the carb. You will see a small tube sticking out from the top carb body into the middle of the barrel. This is the breather for the float bowl. With the fuel line clamped off, start the car and let it run til it dies, then try so start it a few more times to make sure there is no fuel left in the carb. Get some STP carb/injector cleaner and carefully/slowly poor it into the breather tube. When it won't take anymore, the float bowl is full. Start the car again, but only let it run for 5-10 seconds making sure to blip the throttle a couple of times then shut it off. Top off the float bowl with the cleaner and let it sit for at least 6 hours. Pour the rest of the treatment in your tank. After waiting, start it again with the fuel line still clamped of and blip the throttle til it dies and won't start again. Hook the fuel pump back up, unclamp the line and go drive. This works great as long as whatever is plugging the circuit is petroleum based as it will eat it up while soaking. If it doesn't work, it's either rebuild time, or you've got another issue.