Ultimate Subaru Message Board

prepping for Weber install

Finally pulling the weber off of the shelf for the install on the old '83.

Now I'm just prepping.....

stock EA81, 4X4 4Spd, with a 2WD dizzy

• It's the K662 kit
  • Idle jets are 50 and 60
  • Mains are both 140.
  • Air correctors are 160 and 170
  • The nozzle is 60

That all looks pretty close, at least good enough to get it started.

But, I have searched and can't find an old thread that had good pictures of the Hitachi kinkage swap.... Can anybody point me to it?

any advice on the jets?

Thanks guys

No pics needed really...it is a direct replacement. Remove the nut, remove the weber linkage, install the hitachi piece, put the nut back on. Bingo bango, done.

Thanks, for some reason, I was thinking there were spacers used...

Do not over tighten the nut that holds the linkage on. The sign of a tight nut is high idle.

Replace fuel filter(s) before the Weber goes on.

Thanks,

I forgot to mention that when I opened it up to look at the jets, the fuel bowl was filthy....... It would have had jet issued as soon and I fired it up, I was shocked that it was assembled like that..... Word to the wise, open and inspect the carb before you throw it on

The secondary idle jet should probably be a 50.  With a 60 it won't transition very well, and will be boggy when you put your foot on it.

Both jets 50? or should I drop the primary side to a 40 or 45?

I was alredy thinking about a 45 on the primary......

50/50 is good.  I had a 60 in mine and it bogged so I found a 50 at Discount Import Parts here in portland(saw you are in vancouver) and it runs much better.  I would go check them out if you need any weber parts as they carry a bunch of stuff and can have parts ordered by the next day.

Edited by chompy

Both jets 50? or should I drop the primary side to a 40 or 45?

I was alredy thinking about a 45 on the primary......

You may need a 45, but you should be able to get it dialed in pretty good with a 50 primary idle jet.  My Jeep runs 50s as well (the only Weber I currently own).  The 45 was too lean and the 50 is too large, so I went with the 50 and turned the idle mix screw in further than Weber spec (1.6 turns rather than 1.75).  It runs really great that way.  Someday I may order a 47 for it, but for now it works great.