Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what kind of motor fits a 1992 Legacy?

Hi,

I'm a new member, but long-time Subaru owner. I'm very happy with the cars and the WRC representation :) I'm also new to cars and engines, so if I make

silly mistakes or use the wrong terms, please correct me, and explain to me clearly so I can understand and a learn a thing or two.

I bought a new 1992 Legacy from Northeast Subaru (I think it was called this) in Pennsylvania. NEVER service anything there! Below I'll tell you my tale.

I had it serviced for timing belt in 1998 because I was moving to Athens Greece. They did a terrible job at it, leaving the crank-pulley assembly un-tightened. In around 5 years the car started behaving strangely. Under-powered at first, then non-responsive in lower gears. Took more than 10 seconds to get going, as if it was starving for fuel.

Finally I had the official Subaru service in Athens check it out and we saw with amazement that the crank-shaft end was "eaten" away by the wedge that holds the crank-pulley assembly.

They temporarily patched it with a make-shift wedge and a new crank-pulley but the real fix is to replace the motor or the crank-shaft. The second being too expensive, the first option is the one that remains.

What I really want to ask all the experts here in the forum, is for any good solutions, and this:

what kind of motor can I put in this 1992 Legacy?

The current motor is a 2.2L with 150,000 and no other damage. I have found some used/refurbished motors but some are the Turbo models.

Does anyone know if the Turbo models will fit right in there, or is it something that shouldn't be done?

I was told by the Subaru service: NO.

But I know this car came in a 2.2L Turbo edition as well! So what gives?

How about the 2.5L motors?

I have also seen some 2.0L motors (many from Impreza/WRX cars), but I do know know if they fit, and also if it's a good idea, because this car weights 1.7 tons!

Any help/information would be welcomed, as I'm in a tough situation right now because the car is un-Subaru-like in behaviour :)

Also, if you have some really good sites where I can find/shop for a motor for this car, I'd really appreciate it, because the Internet is choke-full with car sites but one who doesn't know cannot evaluate before buying if they are trust-worthy...

Also, any sites where I can sell my used motor after replacement would be helpful.

(I have posted WTB+FS messages on this forum already)

thanks in advance

tony

Tony, IMHO the 2.2 is the most bulletproof of all of your options. To put a turbo in, you'd have a bunch of mods and a lot of scrounging to find the various stuff to make it happen. The 2.5 is notorious for head gasketproblems, and the 2.0 is underpowered for your car. I've got two legacies w/2.2's and have had nothing but superior performance from both. Good luck with your situation.

The key/pulley problem is somewhat common. 150k miles is still young. I was able to MIG weld the crankshaft - essentially re-building the key slot. The MIG doesn't get the shaft too hot at all... then a little (lot) of filing to clean it up - new key and new pulley (used) and works great. You can change the front crank seal while your at it. good luck. r/PK