Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I just did an intake on my 04 legacy, and when I started it, it idled really low to the point where it would almost die, and when I would get on the gas I had no power at all, my buddy told me it could be the mass air flow sensor was reading that it was getting to much air, he said if I just got rid of the maf it would stop, so is it safe to not have the maf in it?

It would be safe to remove the CIA as it screws up the air metering. IF you keep it, the only thing you can do to work around it is tune it for low end response, or tune it for high end response.

The factory intake has what is called a helmholz resonator, which reverberates and keeps the air flow and metering proper for the MAF, much like how a muffler is tuned for performance flow.

Runninf without a MAF is bad ascise and you should smack whoever told you that, especially if he is the one who sold you the CAI

Also the MAF does not like cone filters or oiledf ilters.

Just so you know, the stock intake system can handle 400 hp before needing any further mods

Is the MAF still in the intake? that is, does all the intake air still pass thru the MAF? it must, and, as said above, that airflow needs to be steady/laminar or otherwise appropriate for the MAF to do it's job.

if you disconnect the MAF, the car will likely go into 'limp' mode.

the stock intake IS 'cold air' so, just put it back stock if you continue to have issues.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

You need the MAF because that's what tells the ECU how much fuel the engine needs. Without it the ECU will run in Limp mode with the CEL on all the time, and you'll still have no power.

As Texan said, the stock intake tube IS a COLD air intake tube. It draws cold air from behind the headlamp and pulls it through a water separator in the fender before going to the filter box. If you just want more sound, pull the water separator out of the fender. Takes all of 10 minutes.

If youre dead set on using the aftermarket kit for looks. All of the little hoses that attached to the stock intake tube need to be attached to the "cold air" tube that you put on. They need to be attached somewhere between the MAF sensor and the throttle body. ALL of the air the engine consumes has to flow through the MAF first. If any of the breather or PCV tubes are disconnected the MAF will command a lean fuel mixture and you'll get no power.