Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1988 gl-10 turbo ?

Hello everyone! I owned a 1988 subaru DL wagon years ago and drove the snot outa it and i never let me down. Ive been looking for another one recently and came upon a 1988 GL-10 turbo wagon forsale.

I havnt gone to check it out just yet, but it just had 

Machined heads
New head gaskets
New fuel filter
New spark plugs
New spark plug wires
Replaced water pump
New thermostat
New coolant temp sensor
New 02 sensor

but the owner says it wont pull a rev??? 

Any ideas? I have years of knowledge and experience on cars and trucks, diesel and gas turbo and N/A im just wondering if this particular model of subaru has any notorious issues? if this is a common thing? and what i should look for first? 

BTW hes asking $1k obo for the car

Thanks 

Jason

Likely ythe distributior timing is wrong, or the timing belts are installed wrong. If you get someone looking at it telling you there is no compression and tyou have bent valves on one side, the cam is upside down on one of the belts. Should be easy to fix, just make sure it is put together correctly.

These models are known to get hot or fail heads, but usually because they are 25 years old with corroded radiators, old hoses, old/low coolant. but by themselves are reliable if the cooling system is maintained, and run within stock parameters, boost, timing

Id like to go take a look at it soon and check things out myself, the cars is in Sacramento CA. I was thinking probably a vaccum leak or bad timing also. the car has 200k on it also. I was just curious if $1k obo is a decent deal? 

thanks