Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ea82 wheen should I be boosting

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 elgigante

elgigante

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • roseville

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:15 PM

Never drove a ea82 until I purchased one.
I dont know how they run when running good.
When driving on the highway when I get to about 4k the car feels like boost kicked in. Is this right?

Also sometimes the green turbo light will stay on until I punch the throttle. I thought it only goes on when im boosting

Edited by elgigante, 12 June 2014 - 11:16 PM.

#2 jono

jono

New User

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • Southern Hemisphere - AUS

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:51 AM

is this the same vehicle you have lots of posts on ??

My 85 EA82T boost light came on about 2500rpm, but only when conditions were right - a vacuum/boost gauge really helps to drive a turbo by.

Should feel the power (be careful :) ) about 2500 up to about 4000 on most EA82T. Only when something was wrong with my blow of valve install did I only feel power starting at 4000rpm - hated it, nasty slap in the back and 1500rpm too late, snails were sniggering at me :(

#3 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,611 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:53 AM

Don't turn up the boost or you will blow it up. Good luck

#4 elgigante

elgigante

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • roseville

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:59 PM

I have the wastegate connected to the turbo it self as I saw on a rx when I went to pick n pull, is this not correct? Or should I connect the waste gate duty supply?

#5 elgigante

elgigante

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • roseville

I have the wastegate connected to the turbo it self as I saw on a rx when I went to pick n pull, is this not correct? Or should I connect the waste gate duty supply? And if I do connect it will this help?

#6 elgigante

elgigante

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • roseville

I have the wastegate connected to the turbo it self as I saw on a rx when I went to pick n pull, is this not correct? Or should I connect the waste gate duty supply? And if I do connect it will this help?

#7 jono

jono

New User

• Members
  • 634 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:30 PM

mine was direct on 85,86. 87 models got solenoids etc to interfere orcontrol things better

#8 Uberoo

Uberoo

Subaru Wheeler

• Members
  • 3,439 posts
  • lewiston,ID

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:07 PM

Don't turn up the boost or you will blow it up. Good luck

I'm sure it would run 20 PSI

once.

#9 elgigante

elgigante

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • roseville

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:43 PM

Yea how would I hook it back up? The straight part to turbo? Bottom to waste gate? Back of the solenoid to the vacuum on manifold

Attached Files

Edited by elgigante, 13 June 2014 - 10:47 PM.

#10 jono

jono

New User

• Members
  • 634 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:31 PM

for the 87.5 spider turbo .....

the T off the device (mine has same red part number label)goes to the wastegate diaphragm, so this is the bit that is off to right angles where the other two go through device in a straight line OK ??

The straight line on device all on its own goes or rather comes from the turbo alloy housing just in front where outlet hose for compressed air comes out of turbo, It has a small inline valve for either restriction or flow direction.

The other end, closer to the T off is like a vent outlet and ends up witha T fitting and goes to intake boot, the other end of that T ties into a metal tube coming off inlet manifold tree of tubes, comes around corner and its end points right at turbo

#11 elgigante

elgigante

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • roseville

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:29 PM

Thats confusing, you have pictures?

#12 elgigante

elgigante

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • roseville

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:46 AM

Any help?

#13 jono

jono

New User

• Members
  • 634 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:07 PM

yeah, your picture - lets call each of three pipes on the solenoid a port?

the hose still fitted in pic?  - the empty end goes where this next few lines takes it-

"The straight line "port" on device all on its own goes or rather comes from the
turbo alloy housing just in front where outlet hose for compressed air
comes out of turbo, It has a small inline valve for either restriction
or flow direction".

Fit that and you have two hoses to find and fit at the other end. The port coming off at right angels to the other two ports, one you have just found a connectuion for abovee??

Sorry, just read that - needs rewriting ...

At the other end where you see two ports to the solenoid, one is straight out, the other goes off at right angels, 90 degrees - OK, got it ?

The straight out is really a vent off or bleed off from the solenoid so this connects to the intake rubber boot after the afm, somewhere near where the PVC hose fits up. It also has a T in this line, close to where you hook it into the rubber intake boot. Maybe for this stage forget the T in line and just connect it to the boot ?

into a metal tube coming off inlet manifold tree of tubes, comes around
corner and its end points right at turbo

Edited by jono, 20 June 2014 - 06:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users