Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1990 legacy has hard time shifting to second

1990 thru 1994 are what is referred to as OBD-I and have to be done the old school way as described in the link above.

and it doesnt matter if the light is still on or not, if it has been on - even briefly - the code will be stored in the computer's memory.

this is true for both the OBD-I (what yours is) and OBD-II (for Subaru: 1995 and up)

Find out what code it has stored and post it here so we can provide better assistance.

• Like 1

whatever is triggering the engine code is likely to be confusing or compromising the transmission. 

fix the engine code first, or at least read it.

those early legacies also have a problem with clogged ATF cooler lines...i think in the radiator.  There was a Subaru recall or part offered for them I believe. Look into that issue or bypass the radiator cooler and install an auxilliary cooler.

What's the fluid condition? New? Old? Burned? Low?

Engine problems can cause high shift points. When was the last tune-up? Does the engine run rough or feel shaky?

I just bought the car the other day. Like an idiot I didn't do to much test driving cuz it was from a "friend". Some friend huh. I will go read codes today and see what I come up with.

knock sensor is a fairly common one and will cause drivability issues - not real sure about it affecting the tranny shifting, but I suppose it is possible.

are you sure the transmission fluid is at the correct level? low fluid levels can casuse shift problems

these can be a bit of a pain to get a good reading on.

must be fully warmed up (drive it around for 10-15 mins - shift manually if you need to, you wont hurt it by doing that)

park on a level surface, leave the car running & check the level - may need to pull the dipstick, wipe clean, and replace 2 or three times to get a really good idea of where it is actually reading at.

knock sensor is a fairly common one and will cause drivability issues - not real sure about it affecting the tranny shifting, but I suppose it is possible.

are you sure the transmission fluid is at the correct level? low fluid levels can casuse shift problems

these can be a bit of a pain to get a good reading on.

must be fully warmed up (drive it around for 10-15 mins - shift manually if you need to, you wont hurt it by doing that)

park on a level surface, leave the car running & check the level - may need to pull the dipstick, wipe clean, and replace 2 or three times to get a really good idea of where it is actually reading at.

I made sure the levels were good. It worked just fine and decided to have an outing with the bf yesterday up the side of a mountain (yes paved, actual road) but a lot of down shifting. He took it half a mile to the store... Everything was fine. I got in it an hour later to go to work.. Would not go over 20 mph revved up to 7k. Changed the knock sensor. Check engine light went out. YAY. Read the tranny codes after I figured out how and its throwing the duty c.... But everything I see says this won't be an issue of shifting. My parts store didn't have Chiltons  :angry:  nor could I find anything out about the "atf filter" that is mounted on the radiator. But everything is pointing me in the direction that its that filter that is probably clogged causing a lack of fluid to the tranny. Can I bypass that some how??