Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Purchasing first GL/Loyale

I have found a particular posting on my local craigslist. This is the condensed version of the ad posting. He's asking $1200. I live in SoCal and these things are hard to find!

1990 Subaru Loyale wagon with 86k original miles
Power windows, power doorlocks, mirrors, abs
Automatic
EA82T engine
Has the original radio
Runs good, very clean interior
No leaks

Now for picture time:

https://imgur.com/a/Bo3Ph

1. I would prefer to have dual range, but I would be ok with the automatic I suppose. Are there any troubles with the auto trannies in these cars?
  2. It is even possible to do a dual range swap with the AWD versions of these with the 4speed auto trannies? (Pretty sure it's the 4EAT) I know theres a few combinations why all you might have to do is wire some reverse lights and then some of them being straight matches. I couldn't find anything on the 4 speed autos to D/R manuals.
  3. He also says it has AC, it blows, but not cold. Possible freon recharge? I've been reading a bit and am confused if I would have to convert the AC, or if there are substitute chemicals.
  4. Is the turbo going to hurt the lifespan of this car significantly? Head gaskets maybe?

I'm headed up Saturday to go look at it.

Edited by h0ly lag

You have my interest. Can you some more info? Pictures? I would really like for it to have AC, or at least the components. I am moving to Arizona soon and this is going to be my project car / daily driver.

EDIT: Oh snap, I didn't realize how far away that is haha. I am in North San Diego County. I don't think I can drive 8 hours one way just to buy an 800 dollar GL. Sorry man.

Edited by h0ly lag
  • Like 1

Nice find!

That's a decent price too, especially if you can talk it down at all. Great mileage!

There are a bunch of guides on these forums to swap to 5 speed with dual range. It's an involved process not for the faint of heart, but if you are handy and have a good head on your shoulders, you can do it.

The 3 speed auto is fine except that it is only a 3 speed and when you're doing highway speeds (65) the RPMS are going to be at around 3800 rpms, which is fine really, if the motor is maintained. These engines will pull 6000+ RPMS for 3 hours straight. Ask me how I know. ;)
I also know that it IS possible to hit 100 mph with one, but your rpms are going to be at around 6500 at that point so it is not recommended.

=P

If it's less than likely actually a 4 speed full time all wheel drive car (which I doubt but I could be wrong) none of the above applies.

As far as the A/C is concerned you need to either recharge it with r-12 which is costly and hard to find, or convert it to the newer stuff.

Turbo won't hurt at all. What will hurt is an inefficient cooling system. These cars need to be carefully maintained because if they overheat, the head gaskets are very likely to go. That is the most common problem with them and the root cause of all that is overheating, so you really should put all new rad. hoses, check out the radiator, fans are functional etc. Make certain.

I found this picture of what I believe is the 3 speed auto, because it only shows 1, 2, and D for the shifter where as the in the pictures I posted originally you can make out a 3 right below the D position.

Based off of what you said, I would be SOL with the 4EAT for a swap? Also on the manifold it says "AWD."  <_<

post-53831-0-14725700-1403307588_thumb.jpg

Edited by h0ly lag

I would NEVER use an EA82T for a daily driver.... ok for a toy / weekend car, but not really reliable enough for a daily driver.  Expect to do head gaskets and any / all hoses/seals under the hood unless they have been done already.

The timing belts like to break prematurely.  Won't hurt the car, but you will be left stranded unless you feel like changing them on the side of the road.  I have had plenty of EA82's and love them... but they really aren't reliable.

The non-turbos are more reliable (preferably an 88-94 GL/GL-10/Loyale), or better yet a 90+ Legacy or 93+ Impreza would be most reliable on the cheap.