Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Goodbye outback it was fun!

Good reason not to drive a VW.

I also did not manage to set them off in an 2005 outback hitting a tree. Most euro cars only got airbags end or 90s some even only early 2000s.

But yes a vw, they have not changed design the last 30 years and they are environmentally good on paper only (in europe).

Allstate seems to still want to only give me about $1500 now.. where the hell do they pull these numbers from? I told my own adjuster about how allstate said my frame was "tweaked" before the crash and he had a good laugh about that I guess he's heard that before too many times.

Somehow just noticed this thread, sorry to hear about the OB!!!

Insurance can be a pain. Age and mileage are the major factors in an insurance payoff. Vehicle condition really doesn't make much difference unless the car has a salvage or rebuild title.

Barring either of those, a car in horrible mechanical shape is worth just as much as one in perfect shape to the insurance company. Peeling paint and rust make a smaller difference than many people think.

For the airbags I'm talking about the VW airbags.

The hood and fenders and absorbed all of the impact. Had she run into another VW, the airbags might have gone off.

Airbag deployment is determined based on deceleration force. Have to have a high enough negative G force to overcome the springs in two separate impact sensors in order to set off the airbags.

As the body cumples that deceleration force is absorbed, and therefore decreased.

I've seen cars driven under pickup trucks right up to the windsheild. Hood and the tops of the fenders rolled up like a sardine can. Airbags didn't go off because the impact G force was just too low.

I'm confused because I need had to file a claim before but a person was telling me don't let my own insurance settle with me because it will make my rates go up, but have them negotiate with Allstate for the settlement amount?

I just want to get this crap over with so I can get back into another Subaru

Edited by 1-3-2-4

Your rate won't change. The other drivers rate will.

If you have comprehensive and collision coverage, file a claim with your insurance. They'll pay you, then they'll go after the other drivers insurance to get their money back.

If you only carry liability coverage, file the claim with the other drivers insurance.