Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Heater/Cooling Shenanigans

Hey all -

I need some insight here on some heater/cooling issues on my 81 DL wagon. I have recently replaced the heater core. I get somewhat decent heat while I idle and allow the temperature to go up, but nothing impressive. If I sit and idle, the car with eventually overheat. If I begin driving, the temperature gauge goes down really low, and then my heater begins to blow cool - especially at highway speeds. I have replaced the thermostat, water pump, and heater core within the last 1-2 months. I have flushed the system twice and filled with new coolant both times.

While burping the system today for possible air bubbles, I noticed that I did have "flow" while watching the coolant level, but the thermostat never seemed to open up. I never noticed a drop in the coolant level. It eventually got to the point where it started boiling over, so I just shut the car off.

Is it possible to install a thermostat wrong? Spring faces inward toward the engine - And as far as the "jiggle pin" on the thermostat itself, does it matter it's orientation?

I have read somewhere on the forum that people recommend an OEM thermostat only for EA81s? Something to do with the OEM thermostat being longer than aftermarket. Does anyone have further info on this and/or part numbers?

Or am I going in the wrong direction? Any help is much appreciated.

Some eye candy for your help.

20141205_141055.jpg