Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Auto to manual swap ect...

The pedal box does not fit. Not even by a long shot. After several minutes with the sawzaw grinder and hammer it did fit. Still isn't bolted in yet though.

Here is the dash all apart, How does it go back together... I dunno I will figure that out later. This car is an electrical nightmare.

PICT0017.JPG

I did manage to wrestle the transmission in and the drivetrain rear of it should be good to go. But the front axles are still giving me trouble and there is that whole engine part that I haven't put in yet.

PICT0018.JPG

We found this neat knife under the seat that I guess the previos owner forgot about I have been useing it to cut out insulation that is in my way.

PICT0025.JPG

Here are my friends cars that helped me a ton this weekend hopefully soon I will get to have my car sitting next to theirs.

PICT0011.JPG

Few questions for you guys. The Switch on top of the clutch pedal has no place to plug into. What does this switch do and is it important to have it in? I assume it is the starter cancel and so is not nessicary for the car to work am I correct?

Also do the front axles go on only one way? I can't get the pins to go back in and am wondering if rotating them 180 degrees would help?

I am sure I forgot to ask something. This project has turned into a little more than a headgasket but I think when it is done I will have a vast amount of knowledge about how this car works and hopefully a car that runs. If not I am only out 922$ Thanks for all the help you guys have given me especialy calebz.

If it looks like the axle holes line up, but the pins won't go in, they are probably 180 off.

For the switch on the clutch pedal, that is for the cruise control I believe. None of my EA82 cars with a 5 speed have had a neutral/clutch safety switch (they were all 87-90 models)

Ahh cruise control makes sense. I bet thats what a ton of that junk is. Switches on the brakes and that goofy vaccum box on the accelrator. Yea not hooking that up.

Progress is slow but steady I am trying to work on it everyday so I can get it done before I am out of school in two weeks. At this rate I should be able to get it at least running by that point. Thanks again I could not have even gotten this far without your help.

My boyfriend just did the auto to manual switch on his '88 XT. He didn't have any trouble getting the new pedal cluster to fit into his car but he did say that if you do not use an XT pedal cluster it will not fit right because they are different, you need the type that has all three pedals connected together. If you have the right pedal cluster it will fit just fine. Also the steering colomn needs to be out, which you have already done. I don't really know what else to say to help but my boyfriend says that if you have any questions, you can give him a call (though we live in the Seattle area). His name is Dave and his phone number is (206) 542-8983. Unfortunately, his XT decided to develop ignition troubles so we still don't have it going again yet. Hope this helped some and if you have any more questions about the swap, maybe we can help.