Ultimate Subaru Message Board

CV boot position = need help

My son just bought an older (1987) Subaru 4wd wagon GL and I checked the boots on the CV and they are in good shape but wondered about the position that they are supposed to be in. The clamp on the boot secures it to the shaft but I noticed that when it was picked up that the boot was closer to the engine than it is now. In other words the boot looks like it slid out towards the outside about 2 inches on the shaft. Is this important? Where should the boot be positioned? I don't want him driving it unless it is on right. Would appreciate any help..

So as long as the boot is clamped onto the housing and protects the joint it should be ok? The position that the boot is actually clamped onto is not something that I should be concerned with?

Thanks so much for the quick reply, Great Board you have here.

If the large end of the boot comes off you will loose the grease thats in it, and also get dirt inside. This will eventually destroy the CV joint. Its harder for stuff to get in and out from the small end of the boot. But water can get in, so you can either try and tighten it or replace it.

Welcome to the board :)