Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1986 gl transmission codes?

hey people, got a question for you all,

i got my 86 gl wagon with a webercarb conversion, running like a boss and suddenly i'm getting vibration and clicking from the front end when accelerating. so i swap out the CV's, no more clicking, but still getting the vibration and some scraping noise. turns out my transmission was going out, glad i caught it before it totally cashed. so i take it to my mechanic, he findsa low mileage jap trans for me. put it in and the CVs dont match up. he ends up putting AT CVs on it, but now the gear ratio is different than my rear end. the original trans is an FM-4, the new one is an FM-2. anybody know what's up with this? the rear end is 3.9 gears. any help would be awesome

~redpost-53407-0-64792100-1428004034_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1184lix1194lixu

3.90 ratio means you have a manual transmission. Sounds like what was installed was from a turbo model that would have had the 3.70 front differential ratio. Only 2 ratios used back in those  years, either 3.70 or 3.90. 

Edited by john in KY

Yes your looking for a 3.7 rear. Your in luck being in the PNW (where alot of members are located) and needing a diff that was commonly swapped out on the older cars during a manual conversion. Post in the wanted adds or hit the scrap yards. Turbo rx cars and ea81s with the auto trans... Both of which are getting hard to find, i know theres a memeber or 2 up there that swapped out an auto and still have one of these sitting in the shed.

Oh I Forgot, car-part.com is an option too if your not having any luck and in dire need.

Edited by ihscout54