Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wheel Bearings? Can It be done?

1984 GL Wagon, EA81

Is it possible to do wheel bearings myself? The shop here in town is gonna charge me $250 for them to do it (just labor,not including parts). And I really dont want to spend that kind of money. I have never done them before, and I have heard that some kind of press is required. Is it possible for me t to do it myself?

I just did this job last weekend. You can do it and you don't need a press. Just clean up the old bearing, and used it do drive in the new one.

Check this video out

I went the extra distance to take the whole knuckle out. I trusted myself more to be careful and keep it clean bringing it inside rather than doing it on the car.

• Like 1

The rear wheel bearings are different than the front and require a different procedure.  I have an extra set of ea81 rear bearing new in the box and the tool to install them that I would sell you and send with the carb.  The rears last a lot longer than the fronts, so if they seem fine I wouldn't touch them.  I should be able to get the carb in the mail tomorrow...the past week has been a little crazy.

• Like 1

Yes, you can do it yourself.   I also remove the entire hub so I can work on the bench.

I build a wooden block structure (use screws) so the hub sits flat on the bench.

Also a good time to replace ball joints.   Maybe tierod ends if they are worn.   If you replace the tierod ends, you will need an alignment.

Use a brass rod to knock out the old bearings... ie drift punch   That way, you won't damage the inside of hub.

I did my front shocks at the same time.  Also rebuilt my calipers... and more brake component maintenance.

I use the sticky red premium grease.

2 bearings per wheel.  Should be a 6207-2RS.    The 2RS calls out a double-sealed bearing which will be pre-greased and sealed for life.

Or get an open bearing and pack it yourself.    If you have a bearing supplier, like Bearings Inc., they might be cheaper.

Don't forget the inner/outer seals.

The whole job should take about 2-3 beers.   Have fun.   It's a good opportunity to 'learn' your front-end.

• Like 2

The rear wheel bearings are different than the front and require a different procedure.  I have an extra set of ea81 rear bearing new in the box and the tool to install them that I would sell you and send with the carb.  The rears last a lot longer than the fronts, so if they seem fine I wouldn't touch them.  I should be able to get the carb in the mail tomorrow...the past week has been a little crazy.

Okay Thanks a lot for the carb! sorry if ive been a pest about it.

I might have to take you up on the wheel bearing offer. I wasn't really planning on doing the rear ones, just the front ones; but since you made the offer, I just might have to take you up on it.  ;)