Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1986 GL TURN SIGNALS/HAZARDS INOP

I have a 1986 Subaru Gl-10. All lights work except for the turn signals and hazards. I looked for the flasher for a while before finally obtaining a wiring diagram. The diagram shows no flasher in the circuit. I see the cluster is a combination meter system. The switch works when engaging the high beams but no other function. I am not sure if my problem is in  the cluster or the switch! Ideas???

aha, join another club ! I too was puzzled to find no plug in flasher/relay unit in my 85/86. The flashing happens within that combo switch. After all my diagnosing I found my problem - it was caused by a fusible link breaking contact/ making contact - a fractured fuse, working then not working, caused spike in Volts, blew my bulbs in use at the time - hazards. All six bulbs were killed. As I replaced the bulbs one by one, the buzz I got, slowly evolved to a fast tick to correct speed tick when all bulbs were replaced.

So, do you hear a constant buzz when trying to make indicator bulbs work ? You'd have same problem as me - dud bulbs. No, you say works when in high beam position. Likely something in your switch.

Lucky for you - I have two for sale. If interested we need to compare wiring and ensure RHD is same as LHD

The "buzz" is caused by the loading up of the circuit as the failsafe to tell the driver when a globe is blown. As the resistance of the circuit descreases (or increases, I can't remember which) the flashing rate increases. Having all the bulbs gone means it flashes really fast :P

If you can get access to another working combo switch (most ideal to get off a working car), to plug in and check your car, that it the easiest way that part.

On the pre 87s, at least everything is together. The later models, with the relocated hazard switch are more difficult to trace.